Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Front End? Vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End? Vibration ?

Just joined the forum. Looking for some tips on my 1998 F-150 front end.

Have a 1998 F-150 4WD Larriatt. About 55000 original miles. It was driven only in summertime by my father when he was able to drive. Now it is mine. I sometimes notice a "vibration" in the front end (specifically the steering like something is binding) when I reverse the truck in 2 WD. The vibration also ocasionally pops up when I turn hard to the left in forward also in 2WD, but much worse in 4WH even in the snow its noticible?

I aked the local garage and they told me not to worry about it until something breaks Not that I am worried, but I like things to run right!

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a horrible thing to tell someone... I'd find a different garage for one, and two, have you suspected that it could be stuck in 4wd? Without driving it I can only guess at what might be the cause. You don't have u-joints that would be binding. It's possible that a cv shaft could be going south on you.

If it's steering related then it could be in the rack.

Simple things to try, drain out (turkey baster works nice) as much ps fluid as you can, add Lucas power steering additive and top off with the proper ps fluid. Drive that for a bit and see if it goes away. It'll cost you less than $10 to try this and at the very least, you'll have fresh ps fluid when all is done.

Quick Reply: Front End? Vibration ?