Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

front cv axle flange.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front cv axle flange.

I have a question regarding the flange that is attached to the front differential that the CV axle bolts to. This past Friday i hit a telephone pole and as you can imagine there were some damages. The front left tire was bent back and stuffed in my wheel well. The upper and lower ball joint snapped. The outer tie rod snapped and the left CV axle popped out. First i thought the CV axle broke, the next day when i got my truck jacked up i noticed that the CV axle was still attached to the flange but the flanged pulled out of the front differential.

I fixed all the ball joints, tie rods and replaced the CV axle. I drove for a little bit and i noticed the CV axle flange was pulled out of the differential a little bit. I went to ford and found out that there is a little clip that goes at the end of the flange (the clip looks just like the one that goes on your lower ball joint).

My question is has anyone ever pulled out this CV axle flange? Do i have to insert the flange in and then put the clip on from the inside of the differential or do i put that clip on the flange and then slide the flange in? I'm not good with the front differential. I've never worked on one before just the rear end. I know they are similar but the rear end has c clips holding the axles in not these tiny dinky clips. Any information will be a big help.

Thank you,
Aaron
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey buddy what did you have to do on your frount diff axle flange? I'VE got a simular problem with my driiver side axle shaft seal leaking some of my buudies said it pops out like a CV joint but others say theres a snap ring inside. What did you find out?
The following 2 users liked this post by sprousef150:
Broseph33 (07-30-2020), handyman2017 (12-02-2017)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprousef150
Hey buddy what did you have to do on your frount diff axle flange? I'VE got a simular problem with my driiver side axle shaft seal leaking some of my buudies said it pops out like a CV joint but others say theres a snap ring inside. What did you find out?
curious if you found a solution here?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by sprousef150
Originally Posted by Broseph33

His last post was from almost 9 1/2 years ago...hopefully he found a solution...and isn't still waiting on a reply!
Old 07-30-2020, 08:43 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Broseph33
I havent pulled that
But most cv axles have a round wire c clip that goes in a groove. Takes force to put in, and take out. Often use a big rental slide hammer and chain to pull them.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They are just like the rear end and you have to do them the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front cv axle flange.