Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

front brake disc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front brake disc.

I have a 97 f-150 extended cab, 4 wheel, small 8. The haynes book says the rotor is seperate and just pulls off the hub once you get the caliper and bracket off. I cannot get the rotor off and does not appear to be seperate from the hub. The truck was manufactured 11/96. NAPA shows that the disc is seperate. I do not see any machine screws holding the disc on and I have soaked the lug studs and hub area with blaster. I have used a hammer to loosen it but again it looks like a one piece like the 2 wheel drive. The nut holding the bearing does not have a dust cover and is inside the hub.
Any ideas?
Spud1
In case anyone has this problem the solution is "Free All". Free all comes in a spray can and is twice as good as PB blaster. It penitrates the rust extremly well. I did have to chip the inside of the rotor where it meets the hub as it built up with a large ridge of rust. Once that was broken free the Free all completly penitrated the rotor/hub area and a few hits with a 3 lb hammer and the rotor pops off!

Last edited by Spud1; 04-29-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Found the solution
Old 04-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a 4 wheel dive that should be a pop off rotor. Try using a gear puller and pull it off. The only problem with that is u might warpe the rotor. But if u getting new rotors anyway it wont matter.

Quick Reply: front brake disc.