Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

freeze plug nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry freeze plug nightmare

I have been working on my truck for 2 weeks. I had coolant in the oil. I assumed that it was head gaskets so I striped it down and put in new gaskets. fired it up and had same problem so I went on this forum and posted a thread and go some replies that said to look at the freeze plug in the timing cover. tore it apart again and pressurized the cooling system and sure enough they had a bunch of pin holes that only leaked when under pressure. got 2 38mm plugs and put them in and pressure tested it and they still leaked. I went online and found a post that said use aviation gasket sealer on the plugs. I popped the plugs out and did as advised. I did a pressure test and it held. put it all back together and ran it for 5 minutes check radiator and it was empty. plugs came lose and leaked when it got hot. before I go any further does anyone have any advise. should I get oem plugs or brass ones. I cleaned the block with 220 sand paper and noticed pitting I also saw a post that says to use Loctite thread compound. please help im about to hang myshelf.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Try some permatex sleeve retainer, it's made for freeze plugs, sleeves and valve seats, and in my experience works really well. I would definitely try new plugs and make sure you have on all of the plugs when you install them.

Are you sure you have the right size plugs and the blocked is not cracked and leaking around the plug? Hope it helps you out
Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I was the one that said to check these plugs. The sleeve retainer might work. It's a green locktite. I would use steel over brass. You maybe are warping the sides of the plugs when installing in the block. If the block is really pitted at the plug area, like the one we had at the shop. We replaced the engine. Too much coolant went through it to stand behind any repairs. Might want to let the plugs set in the block for awhile to cure.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry not trying to jack the thread but i was wanting to know if theres a write up on how to get to these freeze plugs to check them, i want to make sure its not one of these freeze plugs before i teardown the engine to replace head gaskets.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What?

Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven71
Sorry not trying to jack the thread but i was wanting to know if theres a write up on how to get to these freeze plugs to check them, i want to make sure its not one of these freeze plugs before i teardown the engine to replace head gaskets.
The chances of a 3 valve lasting long enough to rust a freeze plug is very a slim possibility. But I’ve seen half a dozen guys ripping apart bell housings, discottecting the trans an pulling it. That crossover drains back down the block a you do t see it till it’s to late. An if you file th right corner on the block that crossover pulls up an out but a 1/16 taken of what’s not need gets it fee five bolts it’s off, put some fel pro on an it’ll still happen again. Good luck but it’s an easy job I’ve found totaled 150s changed an drove it an I still am
Old 03-23-2024, 06:29 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

How did you install them.......... How did you get them out..... I'm assuming you use new ones the second time? But you only said you got 2.

I would always go with OEM if you can get it..... Aftermarket parts may not be quite the right size. 0.001 inch matter when you're talking about interference fit

Last edited by mbb; 03-23-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: freeze plug nightmare