Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ford Acronyms

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ford Acronyms

As a new ford truck owner, it is very hard sometimes to follow a thread when so many acronyms are being used.

Example: My engine is running rough, do I need to clean the MAF, or check the PATS, because the EGR is spitting out a OBD2 code of P0171?

wa wa wa whattttttttt?

It would be nice if someone could put together a list of all these so a relative newby like myself can somewhat understand. lol. (that means laugh out loud).
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Topline Mike
As a new ford truck owner, it is very hard sometimes to follow a thread when so many acronyms are being used. Example: My engine is running rough, do I need to clean the MAF, or check the PATS, because the EGR is spitting out a OBD2 code of P0171? wa wa wa whattttttttt? It would be nice if someone could put together a list of all these so a relative newby like myself can somewhat understand. lol. (that means laugh out loud).
may be a vacuum leak. Check the PCV elbow ( passenger side valve cover ) and Supercab is a extended cab Supercrew is a crew cab. COPs are coil on plug. Those are all I know haha.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

ODB2 : on board dinostics (version 2) the port is located under the dash on the drivers side. This is where the dealer or auto parts store plugs in a computer to read the engine codes ( this is your Po171, there are tons of these codes, each one means a different thing)

MAF:mass air flow sensor. The sensor measures how much air that is coming into the engines intake so and the computer then determines how much fuel to inject into the cylinders from this reading (among others too)

IAT : intake air temperature it's alot like the MAF but it just measures the temperature. air coming into the engine. The computer also factors in this reading when injecting fuel.

EGR : exhaust gas recirculation. It's basically a valve that opens up when you are cruising to put some of the exhaust gasses back into the engine to be reburned. It reduces emissions and also helps a little with fuel economy. Alot of the times the ports connecting this valve to the TB (throttle body) get clogged and cause issues

PATS: passive anti theft system. Basically there is a chip in your key that is programmed to this system. If the key you are trying to start the truck with doesn't have this chip then the truck won't start. It basically makes it impossible to hot wire or steal. Sometimes part of this electrical system can go bad and cause issues.

PCV: positive crank case ventilation, basically takes the oil gasses and fumes out of your intake.

COP: Coil on plug. Your truck (if it's a 5.4 newer than 1999) has 8 one per cylinder. It replaces the old plug wire and distributor system

Last edited by 2thousand5.4; 03-26-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

As a new ford truck owner, it is very hard sometimes to follow a thread when so many acronyms are being used.

Example: My engine is running rough, do I need to clean the MAF, or check the PATS, because the EGR is spitting out a OBD2 code of P0171?

wa wa wa whattttttttt?

It would be nice if someone could put together a list of all these so a relative newby like myself can somewhat understand. lol. (that means laugh out loud).

I think Google would be a better place to look for these since many are not Ford specific.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

wa wa wa whattttttttt?

What we really need is a big figgen banner accross the screen that says read the damn stickies. Maybe an IQ and reading test to use the forum?

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/egr-eva...ps-iat-243366/

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/p-codes...causes-246645/

Last edited by Tackle; 03-27-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bring it to the shop.

Make sure you let them know to clean the flux capacitor. LOL
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Blinker fluid is low in here. Top it off and your muffler bearings will quiet down.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the help, Tackle.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This was a mistake.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

It is a good idea. Honestly. Such a good idea that it's been thought of multiple times, acted out and then put in the spot most likely to be seen and where people look for relevant/important/helpful information.

Even though there is a list people fail to see the threads, due to both their unfamiliarity of the forum and negligence.

If there was a big banner across the screen like I suggested or a requirement to read the threads first, we wouldn't be here.

Ironic eh?

Last edited by Tackle; 03-27-2015 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford Acronyms