Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fog Light Capable?

I have a 1999 XLT 4.6 v8. From the factory she never came with fog lights, but my switch has the ability to turn on the fogs. So my question is, are there pre-existing wire harnesses anywhere? I already looked along the frame rails and didn't see any. I just put on a new lower valence that has the slots for fogs. I just want to know if it's possible to wire them to the factory switch and if there's already a set up for the power. Thanks! Will.
BIG_WILL99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
cliffords a 4x4

Look at the connections to your headlights some people here have said they've found the pigtails for the fogs hidden with the rest of the harness. there are a few posts on here mentioning them and with pics too. just search for them
BIG_WILL99 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

If your switch doesn't have the foglight symble on it you will need a switch that does. The switches that don't have the symble will pull out but thay don't have the contac's in side. As for the plugs for the fog's some trucks have them and some don't look behind the bumper. Around the horn.
kd4gij is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kd4gij For This Useful Post:
BIG_WILL99 (08-12-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #4

Ok so I did some searching and found out that I don't have any pre existing wiring harnesses. So can I still wire it to my switch? Also what else is needed to get power to the fogs? Relay? Fuses? I real hate electrical, so sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have a '98 Lariat - made in Canada. I don't know if that means anything, but my truck did NOT come with either the fog-enabled switch, nor the pigtail pre-wire. I read here that the standard leads WITH connector, are tucked away somewhere in the fender wells - but I could not find those anywhere.

Plan B was to grab a bumper from an Expedition that had the fogs, replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and wire them into the parking lights. I could have gotten fancy with them, by running the hot lead into a switch in the cab, but I didn't bother (they're low power anyway).
BIG_WILL99 (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warspite View Post
I have a '98 Lariat - made in Canada. I don't know if that means anything, but my truck did NOT come with either the fog-enabled switch, nor the pigtail pre-wire. I read here that the standard leads WITH connector, are tucked away somewhere in the fender wells - but I could not find those anywhere. Plan B was to grab a bumper from an Expedition that had the fogs, replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and wire them into the parking lights. I could have gotten fancy with them, by running the hot lead into a switch in the cab, but I didn't bother (they're low power anyway).
So you haven't had any issues by wiring it like that? Where exactly on the signal wiring did you tap into?
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #7

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_WILL99 View Post
So you haven't had any issues by wiring it like that? Where exactly on the signal wiring did you tap into?
Remember, These are 9006 LEDs, which barely draw 4 watts (and of course, are not bright like 35 W or so REAL fogs). It was safe to wire them to each parking light (just by splicing and soldering them in. You can use Scotch Locks, which are crimp connectors).

Anyway, here's the "effect". Phone camera makes it look brighter than it is. Really more like Daytime Running Lights (DRL) than Fogs. But, at least they work!
Attached Thumbnails
Fog Light Capable?-imag0057.jpg  
BIG_WILL99 (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:34 PM