Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Flashing Overdrive light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing Overdrive light

I'm kind of new to the whole forum thing but I come across this and hopefully I can get some help. I have a 1997 f-150 5.4 4x4. The odometer stopped reading mileage at 252,000 miles, although the engine was changed around half of those miles. The other day, I had the truck in 4wd high. I stepped on the gas and when the truck shifted, it shifted so hard it literally felt as though someone had rear-ended me. About 2 days later after about 5 minutes of driving, the overdrive light on the column will start flashing, into each gear it shifts in it feels like it's shifting in 4wd, and the transmission feels like there may be slippage in the torque converter. Has anyone ever had this problem or know anything that may help? Please let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Found Off Road Dominating

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The overdrive light flashing is like a check engine light for the tranny. I would start by having a tranny shop look at that, and they will be able to tell you what it is. When i had that happen a couple weeks later my tranny went out. Prolly not what you want to hear. I would have that looked at as soon as possible cuz they might be able to fix whats wrong before something bad happens.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I don't want it going out yet!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Found Off Road Dominating

well if that is the original tranny your doing good. when i had my tranny go out in my explorer it was aroung 130k. it ended up costing me 1600 bucks to get it fixed, and they had to rebuilt everything. And when a tranny goes its always at the most inconveinent spot, like the middle of the highway lol. I hope this helps ya out and good luck.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can get yourself a used tranny at a local junkyard for 200 dollars, and an average mechanic to install it for 200, looking around 400 dollars total. that's how much i paid whenever my overdrive lever was flashing.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 AM
F150

my over drive light wont cut on nor will it go into over drive... its been broke for all most 4 years now, by the way, nice last name... where you from
Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 AM

Yeah im having the same problem. i've actually posted i topic on it too. lol but yeah its basically a check engine light for your tranny. But i know exactly what your talking about when once the light starts flashing the tranny starts to shift really hard from like a dead stop and into the next gears. but this has been going on in my truck for about a month and i still really haven't had any problems besides it every once in a while the light flashes. i usually stop turn my truck off for like thirty seconds and start it back up and it usually makes it stop flashing so you wont have to drive around with the tranny shifting all hard. but i heard on here that when the light starts to flash like that and it shifts hard thats the tranny going into whats called Safe Mode so i guess maybe the hard shifts is the trannys way of making sure it is gonna shift and make t it into the next gear.... But yeah your best bet is to take it to shop and have them hook it into a computer so they can see whats going on... But yeah i still have to make it to a shop so i can see whats going on with my tranny. Once i do that i get back on here and let you know what is going on with mine so that can give you some idea for yours... And if you make it to a shop soon and i havent posted anything on my visit to the tranny shop do me a favor and let me know whats going on with yours and what its gonna take to fix it, so i can have some idea what its gonna be for mine. Well i hope everything works out for you i know when it comes down to the major drivetrain components it sucks to fix and rebuild. Well have a good one man. I also have another post on here asking people to show off pictures of your truck so if you want throw some pics on there so i can check out your ride. My truck is the first one on the page with the trailer hooked up pullin a quad. Later man
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 AM

Well I went to a tranny mechanic today and he hooked the scanner to it. Basically told me the same thing that everyone else has that the truck is detecting slippage in the transmission and the overdrive light flashing means that it is going into "limp mode". He suggested that very minimum I change the torque converter but with 251,000 I think I would rather rebuild the whole thing. He quoted labor and parts $1,200. Sorry that you're having the same problems I know that it sucks but I'm glad to hear that someone knows exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone else thinks that they know what the problem is but this didn't seem like a typical problem to me. That's why I really wanted to search for some answers. Thanks for all of your comments they helped out.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd try a different shop. It should give a code that's exact, like "2-3 shift error". If they want to "try" a new torque converter that tells me they're not sure. Could be a $50 part, could be junk, but experimenting will cost you money.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 AM

Well, he didn't say "lets try a new torque converter". I actually told him I was looking for my cheapest option to get it fixed right and he only said that a torque converter would be the very minimum thing to do.

Quick Reply: Flashing Overdrive light