Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

first time rust repair - suggestions??

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time rust repair - suggestions??

Hello everyone my name is Jessica and i have had my current 1998 F150 for about 5 years now and I LOVE IT! its getting old and im trying to keep her as long as i can, until i can afford a new F150! My current problem is the rust, this past year has really killed my doors. I am unable to purchase new ones but i thought I could repair it with some fiberglass and bondo? I have both doors plus my suicide door has a large rust spot showing the inside of my truck :-(. My question is what would be the best materials to use (type of bondo vs. fiberglass) and any suggestions? I purchased the tape that goes on the bottom of your truck to prevent chips from road debris, if i fix the rust spots it would cover it perfectly so you wouldn't really see the repairs. This is my first time on a forum like this as you can tell, im just hoping someone has some kind of idea to help me make my truck look good for the summer!!! Thank you!!!!

p.s is the work going to be worth the outcome? or is it not even worth my time?!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi jessica my name is john. its nice to meet you.

yes its worth it. sounds like you love your truck so any repair is worth it. if i remember correctly there is a reason the bottom of the door rusts out, something about water getting trapped. if your going to cover the spot you repair then it really does not matter what you use. i like to use fiberglass on dents and such because it is easier to smooth out. its hard to repair rust because most of the time you need to cut all of the rust out, in which case you may be left with a hole to big for bondo to fill.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM

hi jessica be sure to post pics of urself and ur truck hehe.
anyway i had rust on my truck and i cut it out cuz i was told that the rust would travel. i used galvanize to make a patch and weld it with oxycedelene. i cut all the rust out.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aloha_hawaii
hi jessica be sure to post pics of urself and ur truck hehe.
anyway i had rust on my truck and i cut it out cuz i was told that the rust would travel. i used galvanize to make a patch and weld it with oxycedelene. i cut all the rust out.
Be careful cutting (torch) or welding galvanized steel. The fumes are very toxic!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
FORD~ Found On Race Day

We cut all of it out and patch it with new steel then use Bon o if needed to smooth it out the paint!!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also a product called POR-15, that neutralizes the rust and has a paint that stops it. I have used the product personnaly and recommend it. They have a small kit that covers 6 sq feet for 20.00 bucks.

http://www.por15.com/SUPER-STARTER-K...ductinfo/SSKB/
Old 04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Ford Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive done a good deal of bodywork on all kinds of cars and I found the best method is to cut out all the rust, a grinder works best then just use sheet metal to weld over the hole that is left because normally the hole is to big for just bondo. Once you tack weld the sheet metal in you will have to weld the seams that are left. It is important to weld these somewhat quickly and let the welds cool off for a while so that there is not alot of heat on one area for a long time otherwise the area will warp from the heat. Once done welding grind down all the welds and use everglass to blend in the sheet metal (it is just like bondo but holds up alot better IMHO). Then sand down the everglass and paint. Now that is just my .02
Old 04-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post! I am very pleased with the answers i got, i am a little concerned about cutting it off, since i do not have any experience in that department... and my luck...it wouldn't go right. What i will do is upload some pics of the truck and let you see everything. I will do some research and see if this cutting half my doors off would be possible for someone like me. I'm up for any kind of challenge so i wont say i cant do it! I will upload some this weekend! thanks again i can tell this site it going to be very useful for me!! anybody have any good suggestions on website i can purchase Ford parts from? i would love to get new nerf bars!! THANKS!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is a post I made when I completely cut out my rocker panels and welded in new ones.
I have minimal body work skills, and even less mig welding skills. But like you, I am always up for a challenge.

It's not the same as what you need to do, but maybe it will give you some courage to tackle the job.
Any time you don't cut out all of the rust, you are just buying time till it comes back even worse than before.
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/project...der-way-60210/
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Well I have an 02 and am looking to work through the rust this weekend. My plans are to start with the rear and work forward.( i hope the back is cheaper to replace what is too rusted). Then hopefully by the end of the summer i will have the cab off and all rust fixed. My plan is to cut and patch then por15 what I can. I Ill post what i do on here as i get it done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: first time rust repair - suggestions??