Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Finally Did Something!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Did Something!

Well, I haven't done anything to my truck in ages. I had actually been contemplating trading it for a more fuel efficient vehicle, but heck.. decided that I love my truck and that I will just do a few mods and keep my foot off the gas a little more.

So today, I received my Cold Air Intake Kit by Spectre ($133 shipped from AutoAnything.com with an automatically added discount). So, no time better than the present, so I installed the thing!

While I was under the hood, I cleaned the throttle body, the Mass Air Flow sensor, and the IAC. I cleaned all three with some MAF sensor cleaner that I purchased from O' Reilly Auto (saw some folks say that it works on all three and is much safer to deal with than brake cleaner and carb cleaner).

All three cleaned up nicely and the Spectre CAI went on perfectly (other than my IAC hose being a little more "stretched" than I would like.. but I may spring for a longer hose in the next couple of weeks.

So, hoping for a little bit of MPG gain. I have already noticed a LITTLE more throttle response. Time will tell if I pick up any MPGs from the CAI and cleaning the MAF, IAC, and throttle body. I will say that cleaning the IAC did fix an issue I was having with high revving upon cold start.

I have attached some pics (not really good ones.. not good light and taken with my cell phone, but they're pics nonetheless).

Next... washing the damn thing.
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 AM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Good for you in deciding to keep the truck. And really it needs a wash, that thing is super clean under the hood
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Mod Bug

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any different sounds? Would like to get one of these my self.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Oh yeah, under the hood is almost spotless! Its the body and inside that need to be washed/cleaned!

ER95, when revving, you can hear the air sucking in (kind of the sound of a small Blow-off valve or something). When driving, you can hear a sound of air going into it, but not loud. You eventually tune it out and don't even notice a different. But if you lift off and tap the gas, you can hear that Blow-off valve sound again. Sounds pretty cool and looks super clean. For $130-150, I am extremely happy. Also, I ran into a slight misunderstanding during the install, but Spectre has a phone number that is provided on the included paperwork. I called and was speaking with a tech within 2 minutes and he talked me through it.

I would definitely recommend the kit. And I would also STRONGLY recommend cleaning out the IAC, MAF sensor, and throttle body while you're messing with the intake. My truck has 180K miles on it, and they were all three filthy.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Mod Bug

Originally Posted by pflan
Oh yeah, under the hood is almost spotless! Its the body and inside that need to be washed/cleaned!

ER95, when revving, you can hear the air sucking in (kind of the sound of a small Blow-off valve or something). When driving, you can hear a sound of air going into it, but not loud. You eventually tune it out and don't even notice a different. But if you lift off and tap the gas, you can hear that Blow-off valve sound again. Sounds pretty cool and looks super clean. For $130-150, I am extremely happy. Also, I ran into a slight misunderstanding during the install, but Spectre has a phone number that is provided on the included paperwork. I called and was speaking with a tech within 2 minutes and he talked me through it.

I would definitely recommend the kit. And I would also STRONGLY recommend cleaning out the IAC, MAF sensor, and throttle body while you're messing with the intake. My truck has 180K miles on it, and they were all three filthy.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I already cleaned out the throttle body. I'm sure after all those miles it builds up. Looking to bedliner my toolbox first though lol.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:00 AM

No problem, man! I hear ya.. I've got a list of things to do myself.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow man haha clean engine bay!!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Mod Bug

That would look good under my hood lol

Finally Did Something!-image-3601794953.jpg
Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 PM

How much mpg gain did you end up getting
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Southern 4 Life

Received 96 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, that looks great, nice job btw. I wish my engine bay was that clean and didn't have mud up in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Did Something!