Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

F-150 5.4 - dies

Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-150 5.4 - dies

My wife just called and said that her 2001 F-150 dies at stops. It has 80,000 miles on it and I believe that the fuel filter has been changed. Anyone have any ideas? Since I have not driven it I am assuming that it drives fine otherwise.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

more info needed..

is there a check engine light? when my ignition coil went bad it was running really bad. i think it was just one that was bad. but im sure it could be a number of things. has it had a tune up when the fuel filter was changed?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a IAC going bad.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 AM

When I had a coil go bad mine just was misfiring when I was driving in the 40-60mph range. No actual stalling and no problems at low speeds or stopped for that matter.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM

I had a COP go bad at about 40k. Same sypmtoms as kyle. Also, when the coil went bad the check engine light came on. I had the coil and sparkplugs replaced at same time along with a de-carbon and fuel injection cleaning. The check engine light is not on. I thought about it last night and I do not think that the fuel filter on this truck has been changed. I do not believe that that is the problem but it will not hurt to change. My only experience with a bad filter has been at higher speeds and acceleration. I figure that if the fuel filter is dirty enough to cause an idle problem you are certaintly going to feel it at other times. I would think that this is especially true with electric fuel pumps.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I like your reasoning, filters restrict flow or volume, high speed stuff. Not low speed driving. Before I get slammed by the masses, think about it. These engines or any engine, require a different amount of fuel to run at lower speeds versus running at 2000 RPM cruising down the highway at 70 MPH. I agree, the pump has to deliver the required PSI for the engine to run. The filter restricts the flow (volume), it has to be totally restricted to reduce the PSI, this doesn't happen in a second. Need to be open minded and fit the sympton to the solution. Others will help.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 09-12-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM

It probably is the IAC. It happened on a day with a lot of moisture in the air and has not happened since. Cleaning the crepe mrytle flowers out the air filter may have helped too. If I am driving the truck regularly I can tell by feel when the air filter is getting dirty. These motors seem to really like a clean filter.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Check your vacuum hoses guys! I've been dealing with this stalling issue for a while. Got the P0171 and 174 codes, check engine lights, check fuel cap light, etc. I had a coil go out and replaced all 8 with the yellow Accel brand, and did the dreaded plug change. This 03 5.4 died on me last week with a car full of kids and temps outside of 98. Same today on the way home. After letting it sit it finally cranked and ran like crap the final 2 miles home. Once I parked it it was idling rough so I took the throttle body cover off (with the 5.4 Triton logos) so I could see everything. I immediately heard a big vacuum leak and couldn't see it. Got a an of carb cleaner and started spraying. Found the elbow going to the PCV valve was worn in two at the joint. Oreillys didn't have it so using 3/8 fuel line temporarily. One of the many causes of those codes was vacuum leak. This may help some of y'all, may not but figures I'd add my discovery. Good luck! I tried cleaning the MAF and the codes came back after clearing, by the way.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
Check your vacuum hoses guys! I've been dealing with this stalling issue for a while. Got the P0171 and 174 codes, check engine lights, check fuel cap light, etc. I had a coil go out and replaced all 8 with the yellow Accel brand, and did the dreaded plug change. This 03 5.4 died on me last week with a car full of kids and temps outside of 98. Same today on the way home. After letting it sit it finally cranked and ran like crap the final 2 miles home. Once I parked it it was idling rough so I took the throttle body cover off (with the 5.4 Triton logos) so I could see everything. I immediately heard a big vacuum leak and couldn't see it. Got a an of carb cleaner and started spraying. Found the elbow going to the PCV valve was worn in two at the joint. Oreillys didn't have it so using 3/8 fuel line temporarily. One of the many causes of those codes was vacuum leak. This may help some of y'all, may not but figures I'd add my discovery. Good luck! I tried cleaning the MAF and the codes came back after clearing, by the way.
Dave, it's been almost 7 years. I think the problem is probably fixed by now. One way or the other.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:00 PM

Yeah I figured that. However, countless others have the same problem every day and are looking for that common complaint, common symptoms, and advice and/or remedies. I was and this page was one of the many my search unearthed. I was just trying to offer some advice or rather, my experience, as it wasn't already mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-150 5.4 - dies