Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Extended cab back door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended cab back door wont open

My passenger side back door wont open anymore. It was working fine and one day it just wouldnt open. You can hear the bottom latch open but the top latch isnt doing anything. I tried to wedge a flathead screwdriver up there but it didnt do anything. I also tried to take the covers off the see if anything was broken but i didnt see anything, it must be broken at the latch. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 AM

my truck did that. here was my problem: the cable that goes to the top latch from the lever inside the door, has a small i guess its called a notch that it kinda presses laterally into the latch. the lower peice of that was broken (little cheap plastic). i was able to ziptie it to the door latch and has worked great. just cuz im cheap though. but the panel has to come off for all that.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Dirty South's Finest

kingbrian got it right mine done the exact same thing i used a zip tie to lol and i aint had a problem since
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Back door out of wack

Having the same problem. Got the door apart and found the cable with the broken plastic piece gone. Can you tell me where or exactly how you zip tied it? I'm having trouble getting the right tention on it.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:29 PM

I have the same problem. How did u get the door opened to get acess to the cable? The door has be open to get door panel off. Since u have to lift it up to release the the panel hooks. Did u have to drill the rivets out of the door release handle to get acess to the cable to get the door open? Thanks
Originally Posted by kingbrian
my truck did that. here was my problem: the cable that goes to the top latch from the lever inside the door, has a small i guess its called a notch that it kinda presses laterally into the latch. the lower peice of that was broken (little cheap plastic). i was able to ziptie it to the door latch and has worked great. just cuz im cheap though. but the panel has to come off for all that.

Quick Reply: Extended cab back door wont open