Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust question not about sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question not about sound

Hey guys does anyone know what size pipes we have stock? I keep seeing 2 1/4 and 2 1/2. Nobody has been able to tell me what size it is. Not even Ford would tell me which I found odd. I have a true dual exhaust but no muffler and it won't pass the inspection here in VA so I want to add one but I also want to get the best gas mileage as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

Take a tape measure and go out and measure it at the exit. My factory exhaust ( 02 with a 5.4 ) is 2 1/2"
Old 04-19-2014, 08:48 PM

That was my problem. I don't have a factory exhaust and I want to put it back to so it helps me to get better gas mileage.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifted02XL
That was my problem. I don't have a factory exhaust and I want to put it back to so it helps me to get better gas mileage.
FWIW, a non factory exhaust won't hurt your gas mileage any, if at all. Exhaust just helps your motor breathe. Opening the exhaust just helps it breathe better. It does give you mildly more HP, and if you take advantage of that HP (heavy foot) it will hurt your mileage some, but it's more about driving than the pipes.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
FWIW, a non factory exhaust won't hurt your gas mileage any, if at all. Exhaust just helps your motor breathe. Opening the exhaust just helps it breathe better. It does give you mildly more HP, and if you take advantage of that HP (heavy foot) it will hurt your mileage some, but it's more about driving than the pipes.
Right now I have a custom exhaust that is not running a muffler and is load and honestly just ugly sounding. I want to have it brought back to having a muffler and just having a nice low deep tone but I would like to get the best gas mileage that I can.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Just take it to an exhaust shop and buy the muffler from them and have them install it. Magnaflow is a really good choice and sound great on our motors. You're over thinking it with the size and all that stuff, adaptors can be made plus you don't really know what your custom duals are until you measure them.

Go to your local muffler shop and let them take care of it.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:11 PM
TruckMaster

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, i think it depends on the area of the exhaust! mine goes from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2! i had a magnaflow cat back duels.

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifted02XL
Right now I have a custom exhaust that is not running a muffler and is load and honestly just ugly sounding. I want to have it brought back to having a muffler and just having a nice low deep tone but I would like to get the best gas mileage that I can.
That 1/2" 1/4" difference in regular pipe that your fussing over isn't going to make a hill of beans difference for what you want to do. You'd be better off just adding a muffler to what you have if you want to quiet it down. The larger the pipe the lower and deeper the tone of your exhaust will be. It sounds like you have everything you need, other than a muffler, and if you want to quiet it down even more, a cat, if you don't already have one.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question not about sound