Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:52 PM
In This Discussion
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: A leaky exhaust repair tips

If you are running a lean code, an o2 sensor code, or you have a leak in your exhaust some repair shops will charge you an arm and a leg to do the repair for you. Some people get nervous around trying to tackle the job themselves but doing so will save you some money and it isn’t as difficult as it may look.

Read the discussion below for more information.
Print Wikipost

Exhaust Manifold Leak Repair - DONE!

Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
JRV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust Manifold Leak Repair - DONE!

For all of you that are afraid to tackle the exhaust leak problem yourself, I have a tip for you. I know it has been stated before, but let me reiterate the fact. SPRAY THOSE STUDS DOWN WITH PB BLASTER!!! I was nervous to do this myself, but when I shop quoted me $350 before parts, I decided it was a no brainer to at least try myself. The worst that could happen - I break a stud and they have to do it anyways...the leak couldn't have gotten any worse! The truck was already throwing a lean code and o2 sensor code since the leak had gotten so bad.
I sprayed the studs very generously with PB Blaster, and let it do some soaking. Then I drove the truck again, and sprayed them down again. While still fairly warm, I started seeing how many studs would break. To my surprise, I was able to loosen each and every one! So that morning, it was off to the parts store and stealership to get a new manifold, studs/nuts, and EGR line (you will most likely need a new one if you are doing your driver's side). Then I brought it up to the shop I work at, put it on the lift (makes life a lot easier!), and went to work. Only about 3 hours later, my truck doesn't leak a single bit, and now I can enjoy the dual exhaust sound again instead of an annoying tick! It sounded like a tractor at startup. The only stud that didn't come out was the bottom back one, so I just put a new nut on it and called it good...figured if it wasn't too corroded that the nut was able to come off, than it wasn't too corroded to just stay in there.
After all of the parts, I was in it for under $300. I was so happy that my truck cooperated with me, that she's getting some new Cooper ST's put on tonight
But again guys, don't be afraid to try this yourself and save a few bucks. If I had leaks on both sides, I probably would have gone with some shorty headers, but this leak needed fixing asap, so an OEM manifold went back in place.
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Good work ...but...I paid my local shop $158 to do the job that's pretty cheap
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
JRV

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
Good work ...but...I paid my local shop $158 to do the job that's pretty cheap
Holy hell! Very cheap indeed I take it they were able to reuse the manifold/egr, and didn't have any studs break? I even had one shop turn away the job because they didn't want to do it
Old 05-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JRV
Holy hell! Very cheap indeed I take it they were able to reuse the manifold/egr, and didn't have any studs break? I even had one shop turn away the job because they didn't want to do it
Yes they did reuse the stock manifold (lightly resurfaced it) but they did break 3 studs in the process. When they qouted me the price I about crapped my pants...took it to them the next day and the were done that afternoon. That place rocks man
Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done quite a few of them. Makes for a bad day when you get one in. Normally at least 4 studs break too. Makes you wanna pack up your tools and never come back.

My rh manifold ticks a little bit on cold starts. I'm kind of dreading the day I decide to take care of it.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM

my passenger side manifold ticks like a tractor, and its getting steadily worse. im just too lazy/scared to do anything about it. i know i have the ability.. ive done harder on my old yota... im just waiting until i get an actual 'weekend' to tackle the job. (i dont get 2 consecutive days off). so far ive tightened all the bolts, as when my yota was doing it, the bolts were loose, but the ONE on the bottom corner of the manifold closest to the front of the truck, seems to be stripped, and thats where i suspect the leak is coming from. half tempted to take it off, replace the bolt, put antiseize on it, and put that sucker on as tight as it will go... for anyone reading this thread and are in the same bolt.. check the bolts/nuts before you go and replace the whole thing.. maybe save u some cash.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you order your replacement manifold from?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:06 PM

Default Chirping in dash, louder outside

I just bought a 2011 F150 Platinum ecoboost and have a chirping sound that I can hear in the dash, but louder from outside under heavy acceleration ?? First thought it was driver side turbo, but after reading this it sounds more fiiting ? Help..
Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog11
I just bought a 2011 F150 Platinum ecoboost and have a chirping sound that I can hear in the dash, but louder from outside under heavy acceleration ?? First thought it was driver side turbo, but after reading this it sounds more fiiting ? Help..
Everything you need to know can be found here.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/
Old 04-24-2020, 10:13 PM

Default Parts list

Does anyone have a complete list of parts needed to replace these manifolds on a 2012... gaskets, o-rings, studs, turbo coolant adapters etc?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Manifold Leak Repair - DONE!