Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Exhaust leak cause code problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak cause code problems?

Can a leak in the exhaust manifold cause engine codes for lean or rich? I am constantly getting codes p0171 and p0172. Ive sunk 1100 into this truck and have only had it for two months (I've only drive it about a month). It has the ticking noise under load that would make me think that it is an exhaust leak. Could the two problems be related? I really cant keep spending money on it every two weeks.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Jersey
Can a leak in the exhaust manifold cause engine codes for lean or rich? I am constantly getting codes p0171 and p0172. Ive sunk 1100 into this truck and have only had it for two months (I've only drive it about a month). It has the ticking noise under load that would make me think that it is an exhaust leak. Could the two problems be related? I really cant keep spending money on it every two weeks.

Thanks
If your getting those DTC's the upstream O2 is bad since it's impossible to test lean and rich at the same time. It's a DEAD RINGER (Bingo!) that O2 is faulty (bank 1 pass side upstream).

If you want the most help, post what you have done in the recent past and why.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:20 PM

Also,"ticking" is the precursor for SPBO...SparkPlugBlowOut. It's the very first thing to check since the repercussions can be costly.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:29 PM

I have actually been having these coded consecutively. p0171 is "fixed" and cleared then I get p0172 coming up. This keeps happening. I hate to have to say that this but it has been taken to a mechanic for all the following repairs. I work 2nd shift in a hospital and dont have the time. Air filter replaced, Maf sensor replaced with refurbished unit, plenum gaskets replaced, Maf sensor replaced second time with new unit. The truck actually runs completely fine but I feel like there is a problem that will come out of no where with these codes if I let them go.

As far as the ticking. This only happens at acceleration. When parked or idling it is just fine. Even if I put it in nuetral no ticking at all, only with acceleration. Do you still think it could be SPBO?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

More information about the truck is required. Sounds like bad oxygen sensors
Old 08-03-2015, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
More information about the truck is required. Sounds like bad oxygen sensors
Tell me what ya need to know. Ill list off all that is required.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Tell me what ya need to know. Ill list off all that is required.
If You dont understand what the question being asked was you shouldnt have responded. I was pretty clear in what was being asked, as it greatly helps when trying to help others.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:09 PM

That its a 2001 4.2 v6 Supercab. I could also mention that it has the Catalytic converter rattle goin on. Didnt know if there were specifics you were looking for or just the base information about the truck.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM

That its a 2001 4.2 v6 Supercab. I could also mention that it has the Catalytic converter rattle goin on. Didnt know if there were specifics you were looking for or just the base information about the truck.
It's kind of a no brainer, or common sense. That's to post what you need help fixing. Start with basic info, then get specific. You can't really say you "didn't know" ...it doesn't fly, how could you not lol

Usually when that slips ones mind, the common reaction is one of honesty. 'Sorry I forgot about that'. Carcrazy did a good job attempting to trigger that response. It was for your benefit, giving people the ability to assist you further. Just sayin.

For the rattle issue, you have to be able to distinguish between internal and external first. Meaning, it could be the catylist block or the heat shield. Heat shields working loose, tack welds cracking has been an issue with this generation in the past. Ford has issued a TSB covering a fix that isn't permanent. There's a better way IMO.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
It's kind of a no brainer, or common sense. That's to post what you need help fixing. Start with basic info, then get specific. You can't really say you "didn't know" ...it doesn't fly, how could you not lol

Usually when that slips ones mind, the common reaction is one of honesty. 'Sorry I forgot about that'. Carcrazy did a good job attempting to trigger that response. It was for your benefit, giving people the ability to assist you further. Just sayin.

For the rattle issue, you have to be able to distinguish between internal and external first. Meaning, it could be the catylist block or the heat shield. Heat shields working loose, tack welds cracking has been an issue with this generation in the past. Ford has issued a TSB covering a fix that isn't permanent. There's a better way IMO.

Sorry guys Im really just frustrated with this. Ive dropped 1100 into so far only to still have the problem. I also dont really know much of the history for the vehicle as I bought it with 113000 on it and have only put on 2000 miles. I do know of the heat shield rattle problem but with the constant codes I am starting to wonder if its internal rather than just the shield. As for what information was needed I was more curious for whether Carcrazy needed basic information such as engine size and year and all that or something more technical.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak cause code problems?