Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Error Code P0302-Cylinder 2 coil changed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Error Code P0302-Cylinder 2 coil changed

Hello All-
About at our wits end with this error code. We changed the spark plugs, changed the coil on cylinder 2-still runs like crap. Feels like someone "put a darn quarter in" when driving or when in drive and stopped. Putting in neutral doesn't help. Idles fine when you first start it up. Granted it has ALOT of miles on it, but it ran fine before we changed the belt that broke. Maybe a coincedence, but thought I would mention it anyway. Could it be the fuel pressure? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Found Off Road Dominating

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you changed the coil and plug, then i would check your fuel pressure like u said and if thats ok i would look at replacing your injector. how many miles are on the truck.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm almost as embarrassed as I am thrilled to say 246K! Embarrassed that I'm mad that darn truck isn't running right...thrilled that it's lasted this long after all it's been through. It's an 2001 5.4L Supercrew 4WD.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Oh yea, changed the fuel filter also. So are you thinking that low fuel pressure could cause this? Or high fuel pressure? There is a smell of gas while driving it..kind of like a lwn mower smell
Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Found Off Road Dominating

i would deffinetly check your fuel presure, but i dont think that that is your issue bc if u had low fuel pressure it would affect all other the cylinders. im leaning towards that you have a bad infector. another thing you can try and replace is your fuel pressure regulator, i had to replace mine, and its only like 5 bucks. and im glad too hear that you have 240+ thousand miles and this is the first problem you've had.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM

Wouldn't that be nice if it were just a $5 fix! I could only be so lucky, but it's somewhere to start...Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if that does the trick!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM

Default miss

Check Compression , Touch injector when running see if it is clicking ( Still could be bad) If not working it will throw a code ( But I have seen the coil part work and no fuel come out) Just some ideas
Old 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM

wow thats alot of miles hope i get that much out of mine also an 01 screw 4x4 i would think that it would be the fuel filter it's time for a new fuel pump and filter don't be us set that your truck has 246k on it thats petty good i have fixed my transfer case wheel hubs blown seal lower control arms and ball joints a couple of coils one 4-wd slector switch all to the tune of 5,ooo but i had it and i really really like my truck but i guess i should of got another one
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Update: THe fuel pressure regulator was $65 at Auto Zone, not $5. So we went another route...since this is the first major tune up this truck has ever had (even had the original spark plugs up until a week or so ago) we checked all the coils and they checked out fine, but some of the boots were cracked, so at $4 a pop we changed all the boots only..and the spark plugs again. Truck ran amazingly better. So far no check engine light, no vibration...keeping my fingers crossed! Maybe she's back to being "old faithful" again! It's amazing how changing your oil and filters religiously every 3000-4000 miles makes a truck last!
Just so everyone knows, and can be even more proud to own a Ford truck-we bought this truck brand new-had 50 miles on it. We are avid hunters, fishermen and we rodeo. People use to tease me and ask if I ever turned the key off on my truck. It has 4 wheeled in places most people wouldn't think of taking their trucks-and only got stuck once climbing out of an old dry river bed, and that was driver error (I wasn't driving-LOL). It has hauled 10K pounds up and down mountains at more than 6% grade (ok, so maybe we only did 30mph but we made it). It taught 3 kids how to drive, it's a part of the family. We always say when she finally does go, she will be put out in the pasture with the rest of our retired horses! Wouldn't that be a site, a nice big old pasture with horses and a white Ford F150 4X4 sitting right in the middle!
I will keep everyone posted to let you know if this was the fix or not. And would really like to thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Quick Reply: Error Code P0302-Cylinder 2 coil changed