Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Engine waning / shutter

Old 11-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Engine waning / shutter

Hey guys; now that it's dipping below 50° I've noticed that when I accelerate it seems like the engine has a shutter to it.

I realize that's a bit vague. You know where you hear a real old jeep drive by and it's lifters are working hard? Kind of like that.

2001 screw
212xxx
4.6L
Old 11-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

These trucks have issues with coil packs and water. With Temps dropping you get condensation or morning dew. For me I would go threw and check my coil packs to make sure the robber boot on all coil packs are intact. If any of them have water on it or are damaged get it repaired.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by nof3ar
These trucks have issues with coil packs and water. With Temps dropping you get condensation or morning dew. For me I would go threw and check my coil packs to make sure the robber boot on all coil packs are intact. If any of them have water on it or are damaged get it repaired.
Thanks. Just had a buddy from church take it for a spin. Leaky exhaust manifold. He said don't worry about it since the aluminum is so rusted that ford would have to do it for like 800$
Old 11-07-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow $800!!! You can get a manifold for under 100 bucks. And that's something you can do in the garage. Unless the engine block is so far gone?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by nof3ar
Wow $800!!! You can get a manifold for under 100 bucks. And that's something you can do in the garage. Unless the engine block is so far gone?
That's an option. He talked about the aluminum being so far gone that is never get the bolts out.
Might be worth taking a peak if the weather holds.

You know of any way to find out where the exhaust is leaking?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

$100 for a manifold, it's a dorman piece of junk. Put some of those on a customers truck a few years back. Never again, they had rust holes in then in less than a year. Put ford ones on and they are still there. Yeah anyone can do these in their garage but I hope you got a lot of tools on standby. I've seen first hand when things go wrong. I've also seen the customer break all the studs flush with the head. Then wanted us to finish the repair. Estimate and all. No, I won't estimate it. I'll let you know when I'm done. That wasn't to their liking, so towed to next shop.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by eff1fifty
That's an option. He talked about the aluminum being so far gone that is never get the bolts out.
Might be worth taking a peak if the weather holds.

You know of any way to find out where the exhaust is leaking?
Wait until the motor is cold, shove your hand down there and move it around until you feel air moving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine waning / shutter