Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Engine and Electrical stop suddenly while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine and Electrical stop suddenly while driving

Well tonight i was driving back from the store quick and my truck just suddenly quit. Engine shutoff, lights, everything. Didnt get a chance to look around much under the hood considering it was dark, but positive battery post seemed to feel very hot, and had strange smell to it. May be normal, never touched battery while truck was running. Any possible ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:28 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly the alternator since it charges the battery and maybe it caused the battery to go dead for a few seconds.

How long before it cranked(sp?) back up
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zachlow
Well tonight i was driving back from the store quick and my truck just suddenly quit. Engine shutoff, lights, everything. Didnt get a chance to look around much under the hood considering it was dark, but positive battery post seemed to feel very hot, and had strange smell to it. May be normal, never touched battery while truck was running. Any possible ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Shouldn't be hot. Sounds like a bad connection or a bad battery.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Well it shouldnt be the alternator, because the truck started fine and the drive was only a 1 minute drive. I was thinking last night maybe i have a short somewhere possibly, and it was taking enough current draw for me to now even get spark. But i will look into it today and let you know what i find. Thanks. Also, it hasnt started at all, not getting any power what so ever.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Ended up that the power wire to the starter from the battery had worked itself over onto the exhaust manifold and welded intself to it, thus shorting the circuit. Noticed when i put the battery back in that it arced when i hooked up ground wire. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Wow.. That would suck.. Lucky you didn't get shocked. You would have had a cheap afro. Lol..

Quick Reply: Engine and Electrical stop suddenly while driving