Engine Builders talk. - Page 134 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 1997 - 2003 Ford F150
Log In 


Engine Builders talk.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1331
1998 4X4 W/5.4L E4OD
5 Year Member
 
Jbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 5,615
Thanked 300 Times in 279 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Dble Post. Mann this site was chokin for a little bit there lol.

Last edited by Jbrew; 07-07-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: D- Post
Jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


-->
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #1332
Senior Member
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,956
Thanked 353 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

If you are good, you can Mig it together too
__________________
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #1333
1998 4X4 W/5.4L E4OD
5 Year Member
 
Jbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 5,615
Thanked 300 Times in 279 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd2328 View Post
If you are good, you can Mig it together too
Yea but, TIG and that grade of 16 gauge stainless results in a better weld.
Jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #1334
Senior Member
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,956
Thanked 353 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrew View Post
Yea but, TIG and that grade of 16 gauge stainless results in a better weld.
If you can tig

I gotta save the tig for the hot side. If my wallet can hold up.
__________________
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #1335
1998 4X4 W/5.4L E4OD
5 Year Member
 
Jbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 5,615
Thanked 300 Times in 279 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd2328 View Post
If you can tig

I gotta save the tig for the hot side. If my wallet can hold up.
If you can Mig,- Tig is cake.

Yea, - Its an investment that's for sure.
Jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #1336
Senior Member
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,956
Thanked 353 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrew View Post
If you can Mig,- Tig is cake.

Yea, - Its an investment that's for sure.

I have both. Im ambidextrous and I suck at Tig welding lol.
I always get aluminum to diluted or too hot. End up warping everything.

Some people pick it up quick, Im just not good with the torch.
__________________
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #1337
1998 4X4 W/5.4L E4OD
5 Year Member
 
Jbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 5,615
Thanked 300 Times in 279 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd2328 View Post
I have both. Im ambidextrous and I suck at Tig welding lol.
I always get aluminum to diluted or too hot. End up warping everything.

Some people pick it up quick, Im just not good with the torch.
Contaminate? Warping, - you just have to slow down , -take breaks. And/Or learn how to set up properly/ dial it in.
Jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #1338
Senior Member
 
ibd2328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,956
Thanked 353 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrew View Post
Contaminate? Warping, - you just have to slow down , -take breaks. And/Or learn how to set up properly/ dial it in.
I've had professional welders help out and I still have issues. I can do everything but aluminum, it's a damn demon or something.

Anything except 6xxx or 4xxx is nearly impossible for me to tig. I'm sure if I got good at it, it would look and hold much better I just don't have time.

Def not the welder, it's all on me. I not patient at all!
__________________
ibd2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #1339
Senior Member
 
fordmotorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,663
Thanked 53 Times in 51 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I got you all beat...I used a stick in high school shop and got an "A"...and that was the last time I used one ha
__________________
Boat build thread http://www.f150forum.com/f15/my-f-15...72-sr1-214843/
Lightning blower swap thread http://www.f150forum.com/f6/just-ano...r-swap-198994/
2004 Super Duty
fordmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #1340
1998 4X4 W/5.4L E4OD
5 Year Member
 
Jbrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MI
Posts: 5,615
Thanked 300 Times in 279 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibd2328 View Post
I've had professional welders help out and I still have issues. I can do everything but aluminum, it's a damn demon or something.

Anything except 6xxx or 4xxx is nearly impossible for me to tig. I'm sure if I got good at it, it would look and hold much better I just don't have time.

Def not the welder, it's all on me. I not patient at all!
Ahh, - you just have to do it right once, then it'll come easy. That's how it was for me anyway.

If any of that makes sense to yuh
Jbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.