Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Edge Evolution 15050 junk, move to SCT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 12:17 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Edge Evolution 15050 junk, move to SCT?-forumrunner_20150106_114418.jpg

So back about 5 years ago I purchased an Edge Evo to program my tires gears and maybe get a horsie or two...

(Problem 1 and 2 existed from time of purchase)

Problem #1
When trying to program anything other than tires or gears, any other option individually or together the truck would run like crap... fluctuating idle and smoke out of exhaust... I only bought it to program tires and gears and it did that just fine Soooo I said whatever...

Problem #2
While plugged in and running/driving, the unit would shut down all the time, just die for no reason... had a couple buddies with that issue as well...

Problem #3
Here we are 5 years later and the unit is junk... when plugged in it says "connecting to bridge please wait"... it will say this for an hour if left plugged in and never connect... tried a buddies cord only to find it doesn't even power up with his...

So I called edge and they said, unfortunately the unit is out of warranty (I figured that) for $100.00+ship, I can mail my unit to Utah and they will replace the board and cord... or for $75 they'll replace the cord... no brainer for another $25 might as well have it all new...

Problem #4
Well the problem is my stock program is stuck in this unit, I can't return to stock because it won't connect...

I have to call today and find out if they have backup stock recovery programs, can they transfer my program into the new board, or are they going to pay $140.00 or whatever to Ford to reflash my truck (doubt it)...

So with all this taken into consideration... If they don't pay to flash me back to stock I'd be looking at just over $240 to be back up and running...

What would you guys do? I'm not made of money and I'm barely working part time in my off season of work... Was waiting till after the holidays (and my girlfriends pain in the butt just after Christmas birthday haha) to recoup and get this done...

At that price I'd rather move on to a used SCT... and hopefully someone that deals SCT could help me with a recovery program to get my truck back to stock?...

[MENTION=99933]Franchi Motorsports[/MENTION]?? Any help?

How much would it cost to go with a good maybe used SCT unit and get going again?

My truck is programed for 40" tires right now and it's miserable cuz I'm on 35s now...

Last edited by A7X; 01-06-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 PM
A7X

Just got off the phone with Edge...

For $99.00 they will do all repairs and and send it back, then flash my stock program into the unit via their fusion software...

So for 100 bucks total I can be back up and running...

Sounds like that's the most cost effective thing to do at the moment...

I wish I went with SCT right if the bat for custom tunes... but I think moving to one from where I am now would cost much more than $100.00...

Btw, Edge customer service is polite and helpful...

I think I answered my own question...

</thread>
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

I had the same exact issue. Except they werent able to recover my stock program, an they paid Ford to reprogram it.
The following users liked this post:
A7X (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM
A7X

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
I had the same exact issue. Except they werent able to recover my stock program, an they paid Ford to reprogram it.
Awesome, yeah they seem like they stand behind thier products, as outdated as they may be...

I made it a point that I may need the truck flashed at Ford to get back to stock and be able to connect the rebuilt unit... they assured me I'm all set and wouldn't have to shell out more money... Which is what I was worried about... don't want to pay $240 or whatever for an old outdated programmer...

$100 is tops... otherwise I'd move on from this one...
Old 01-06-2015, 09:19 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

In all honesty, I would do the $99 repair and leave it at that. Upgrading to a SCT, even a used one is gonna cost you a good bit more ( cost of buying another tuner plus wouldnt really be able to sell yours in condition its in right now to even recoup part of the cost back )

You must have had a SUPER old firmware for it give that error.

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution 15050 junk, move to SCT?