Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Dropped a socket

Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped a socket

Hi all,

I'm new here, and also a new Ford owner. I just bought a 1997 F150 with the 5.4 Triton engine. I had to change a COP out the other day, and dropped a socket down under the intake. I can't get it our for the life of me. Will that hurt anything if left in there? It went down next to a plastic cover on the passenger side of the engine. I really don't know anything about these engines at all. I used to be a Chevy man so the Triton is a new animal for me. Also the dome light won't work fuses check out and the bulb is ok. Door ajar light works as well. Any feedback would help.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Just to clearify... does the dome light come on when you open the door? If it doesn't then the previous owner may have cut the door sensor wire to the dome light. Sometimes the door ajar sensor doesn't turn off when you close the door and stays on or flickers on and off while driving. So... If your door ajar light stays on when you close the door, that's what you've got going on. Lemme know if that's the case.

With the dropped socket, It shouldn't hurt anything as long as it doesn't roll into the fan. Who knows what will happen if it hits that thing. I've got a magnet on a radio antenna. I would recommend getting one from a parts store and trying getting it with that. Those things are a huge time saver too when things like sockets fall into the engine.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM

The door ajar light works ok. Also the two lights on the outside of the dome light work when you turn on the switches. When you open the door the center dome light, the lights in the doors, and the outside cab light don't work.

Brad
Old 12-04-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by czecher01
So... If your door ajar light stays on when you close the door, that's what you've got going on.
I take that back. That's not the case right now obviously.

When you checked the fuses, did you check for missing fuses? When I was going to get rid of that flickering dome light, I was just gonna pull the fuse. And if I had to cut the wire I would cut it at the door sensor... BUT that can't be the case here because you said that the door ajar light comes on. So check for missing fuses if you haven't already and lemme know what you find out.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM

OK some more info on the lights. This is what does not work on the truck.
1. Interior lights with the door or the switch.
2. Accesory delay.
3. One touch down window.

This is what works.
1. Door ajar light.
2. Door chime.
3. Two map lights on either side of the dome light.

Fuses and bulbs all check out. The relay for the interior lights is missing, so I swapped the relay below it that goes to the battery run down feature. This still did not fix the lights. I checked the socket that the relay goes in and this is what I found. The socket has 5 contacts in it 2 wide ones running vertically and 3 smaller ones running horizontally.
The far left large contact is hot with or without the door open. The top small contact is also hot with or without the door open. every other contact is dead. I hope this will ring a bell with someone on this.
I really don't know what else to check.

Brad

Old 12-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Got It

Fixed the lights. It was a missing relay in the fuse box under the dash.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:41 PM

I just did an engine swap with my 98 f150 5.4 and if you can't get that socket I wouldn't worry about it, all that is under the intake is cast iron and your water pump line. Mine actually had about 40 lbs of leaves under there when I pulled the intake... so I woouldn't worry too much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dropped a socket