Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Drilled rotors....worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled rotors....worth it?

I'm looking for rotors that'll last longer than the cheap crap from China that you get at select auto parts stores. I've been considering cross drilled rotors (Powerstop) with good pads (Hawk?). Is it worth the money?

Any suggestions on rotor/pad combos? I've searched, but the jury seems to be out on drilled/slotted vs normal rotors. What pads would you use with drilled rotors? Ceramic? Semi-metallic?

Appreciate the suggestions
Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM

Personally I Like Crossed Drilled Rotors, They Look Better If Thats What Your Looking For... But I Am Not Totally Sure How Much Bigger Off A Difference It Would Make...

My Buddy Put Them On And Said They Are Better Than The Normal Rotors..
Old 11-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Cross drilled rotors wont build up as much heat and will resist warping better, but they also cost about 10x what the cheapie Chinese rotors cost.
To me, they arent worth the cost. A few years back I put a set of those cheap, Chinese rotors on the front of my truck and (knock on wood) so far they have held up pretty good. At $20 for a set of the cheapies vs $180 for a set of American-made slotted and cross-drilled rotors I didnt see that the benefit outweighed the cost.
I know that Napa sells standard rotors that are American-made and that they claim outperform OEM specs, I know they cost more than the Chinese rotors but arent nearly as much as the slotted rotors.
As far as pads go, I normally buy the cheap pads.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default rotors

round town don't need them..... run the ceramic pads.... big difference right away.... and no black dust!! friend has them on his 99 has gone two months without cleaning the rims, and you can barely tell. If your gonna be haulin butt or towing a trailer where you may need to ride the brakes, then sure the slotted/drilled will keep the heat down and help.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Check Ebay I think I have seen brake packages on there for pretty reasonable prices....it comes with pads and drilled or slotted rotors, and its not as expensive..
Old 11-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Ive never had brake dust issues with my truck and all Ive ever used are Motorcraft OEM pads and Carquest Blue pads.
I guess the way I look at it, if Im using the brakes hard enough to burn up the pads and warp the rotors on a regular basis, its time to move up to an F-250...
Old 11-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fx4

I've got a 08 FX4 with the 20" rims and only 2000 miles on it and the rims have had to be cleaned atleast 4 times already cause they look as grey as the fender flares! But the back still stays fairly clean. I need the ceramic so I don't get the trash on the rims within a week of washing it. Makes it look sick..... nice truck, black rims... then someone wipes a finger and puts a clean spot..... almost like keyin it without doing damage... looks crappy.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I never really had a problem with dust on my 02 either but the 05 is a different story. I swapped the oem pads and rotor for a set of NAPA gold series ceramics and a set of drilled/slotted rotors. I really didn't notice any big big difference in stopping but they do look good and I have no more brake dust on my wheels. Pictures are in my gallery.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Amatuer Lumberjack

Its kinda weird that some trucks have brake dust issues and others dont. My parents have had an '00 Supercab and now they have an '02 SuperCrew and both of those trucks always have a ton of brakedust on the front wheels (bad enough that the wheels look almost as black as the tires), yet my '99 has just a very, very slight layer of brake dust.
I know for a fact that I use my brakes harder than do my parents (Im 28 and they are in their 60s, you can draw your own conclusions on that one), so its kinda weird...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There breaking longer and at a slower speed giving the dust time to settel on the rim.

Quick Reply: Drilled rotors....worth it?