Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Double Din Radio Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Double Din Radio Reviews

Hello,

I have 2001 F150 lariat super crew and I'm looking at installing a double din receiver (6"-7") and back up camera. Ebay, as always, has the best prices, but they are hard to trust. Does anyone out there have any personal experience with a particular brand (radio and/or camera) that would care to drop a review for me? As far as installation goes, was it fairly easy to DIY? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just spend the extra and get name brand at you local stereo shop. You cant go wrong with alpine, kenwood, or rockfordfosgate. I spent years buying off brands and while they sound OK and seemed to last for the most part. You cannot beat the sound quality and difference of buying name brand. Slowly over teh years i have been switching my equipment out. Alpine speakers, rockford fosgate sub, kenwood amps. just installed the sub and amp yesterday the 10" rockford sub sounds way nicer than the dual 12" off brand i had. When i replace the the head unit ill probably be going Alpine or Kenwood.

Get yourself the wire harness adapter. You can prewire it all in the house and then its just plug and play. Make sure u solder and shrink tube all your connections. Stay away from those stupid but connectors.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always been partial to Pioneer HUs.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Got a pioneer for my old radio. They screwed me hard. I loved it but It stopped working after 7 months. The box said one year warranty just send it to pioneer so I did. I spent 20 bucks to ship it to them. They emailed me after two weeks and said it was repaired and shipped. I was excited. A few days later I get a call saying we have your radio but cannot fix it because it is out of warranty. They wouldn't cover it because I bought it from Amazon and not from Pioneer. The icing on the cake is I told amazon and they said hey we are sorry we will replace it just send it to us. I asked pioneer to ship it back to me so I could ship to amazon. They responded that they needed a $30 handling fee + shipping to give me back my broken radio. After I already payed $20 to ship it. I told them to keep it and I bought a sony. Apparently, the fixed and shipped email they sent is automated after my radio sits there for a certain amount of time it means nothing.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The eBay chapies are garbage. Brand names are all good units. Clarion makes a nice deck. I was soon termed to buy a 100 eBay cheapie.. A friend of mine has the dual from Walmart It is trash as we'll. back to the eBay ones. I saw you could get gps too... Woo goo. Then I saw the android powered new. Even better... Only problem is this is all off branded china branded stuff. I remember years ago what a piece of crap that Chinese android tablet was. I steered clear of those. Cheap eBay stereos.. I mounted a samsung galaxy tab 3 in my dash. It was only 179.oo at Walmart and is 1000 times better quality. You could easily mint that in the stock location and be much better off. I run it through a sony head unit that I have where the heater controls used to be. And moved the heater controls to my console on the floor. But you could just as easily run the tablet into an amp. And not need the head unit.. 100 times the quality of an eBay cheapie at the same price...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:27 PM

Thank you all. I'll look for name brand stuff. Good thing I asked. How do y'all feel about refurbished?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:38 PM
http://www.f150*****.com/

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Look at crutchfield.com, they have great customer service. I buy majority of my audio equipment from them. They may be a little more expensive (I don't know for sure, I don't shop around) but it is well worth it.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the AVH-p1400dvd from Pioneer. Effin love it. Fits the dash very well. Very easy to use. Has backup camera capability also.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Thanks again for the input. If you all get the time please post a picture and screen size. I can't decide which size will look better.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
2015 F-150 3.5 ecoboost

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's my boss 7inch I know boss not the best but it's way better than what I had in there and works great for me lol.

Double Din Radio Reviews-image-1614494798.jpg

Double Din Radio Reviews-image-2915757407.jpg

This is a double din with a 7 inch screen.

Quick Reply: Double Din Radio Reviews