Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Door Locks.....Switch or Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Locks.....Switch or Relay?

****Multi thread post....Posted in Maintenance section******

Hey Guys...New to the forum....Just picked up a 2000 F150 XLT super cab with a 5.4V8 last night and had a question....

The door locks will not open of lock with the switch on Driver or passanger door....you have to manually open handle to unlock or lock.....when you hit the unlock/lock switch on both doors...you can hear the lock trying to open....but it never will push the (small round thingy that go's up or down)up or down.....you can ALSO hear a clicking sound under the dash ...maybe behind the radio???(in the dash) when you hit the lock????....

My thoughts is that both switches and both Acuators did not go out at the same time..........so I am hoping that it is the relay (maybe that is what is clicking under the dash) hand it has gone out????

what do you guys think????.....am I on the right path???.....and if it is NOT the clicking behind the radio....where is this relay???

my mirrors..driver or pass. do not work either?....I get nothing with them.....no clicking or movement....fuse?

Thanks,

Athens
Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Hail o Hail o Infantry

If they are making the sound like they are attempting to push the locks I would say actuators. Both of mine went out at the same time a little while back. I was getting an alarm installed and the guys that did the work programmed the computer to cause the actuator to push twice in a row when unlocking which then fixed the problem. The actuator would push the lock a little and the the second punch quickly after would completely unlock the doors. My passenger side is still hit or miss sometimes and I will probably have to change the actuators out sometime in the near future.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Guess I could try the actuator???.....relay was 8 buck...actuator was 40

was trying the lesser of the two???...

what about the clicking on top of the dash????......would that not be the relay?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Born to a Ford Family

If your truck originally had the Anti Theft Option, there is a device called a RAP module to control the anti theft. That may be the clicking you are hearing from the dash.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 PM

may be an Anti theft???.....not sure how to tell?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:03 AM

found this......

Anyone???

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...cks-fixed.html

Quick Reply: Door Locks.....Switch or Relay?