Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Dome Light Goes on and off

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome Light Goes on and off

My dome light goes on and off and is draining my new battery. any idea on how to rectify this problem? 97 f150

Thanks
Coby
Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Hmm..I honestly have no idea, I have only owned my F150 for about 2 weeks and its my first ford ever. If it became to big of a problem I would just disconnect it..ATLEAST until I found out what it really was. Sorry I couldnt be of more help man.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by chadt
Hmm..I honestly have no idea, I have only owned my F150 for about 2 weeks and its my first ford ever. If it became to big of a problem I would just disconnect it..ATLEAST until I found out what it really was. Sorry I couldnt be of more help man.
thanks chadt 4 the reply, 1st f150 of truck owner myself. put it on the road today.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM

I have no idea to be honest. My dome light doesn't kick on when I open the driver door, only when the passenger door is open or when I turn it on. I would say disconnect it or pull the fuse as a temporary fix unless you don't mind. Or just pull the bulb out.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if it is your head light switch. For now I would pull the bulb. Do you have a Volt Ohm Meter, radio shack has some good ones, If not Simpson them Extech, I have both and I really like the Extech. With one of these you can back track the wiring until you find the problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 93F150cj
I have no idea to be honest. My dome light doesn't kick on when I open the driver door, only when the passenger door is open or when I turn it on. I would say disconnect it or pull the fuse as a temporary fix unless you don't mind. Or just pull the bulb out.
it sounds like you both might have bad door sensors, they work simmilar to the ones on your refrigiator that turn the light on and off.

cj, it sounds like your drivers side one is bad, and cobyvom, I woudl just pull the light untill you find out what is wrong with it.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ty
it sounds like you both might have bad door sensors, they work simmilar to the ones on your refrigiator that turn the light on and off.

cj, it sounds like your drivers side one is bad, and cobyvom, I woudl just pull the light untill you find out what is wrong with it.
I figured that was what was probably wrong, I don't mind, as long as it does turn on which it does, for future reference what are these door sensors like? like what is it, or where is it? if anyone knows, thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Mr. J. Bauer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem on my 97 F-150 and all I did was take some WD-40 and sprayed into where the sensors are, it didn't work right away but after a while it did work and the dome light went off. Now when you close the door does the door ajar alarm still sound? if it does try that a few times and if it does not work the I would say replace the door senors. Now if that don't work I would just pull out the dome light bulbs(s) until you find the problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM

thanks guys for the replies, ill let u know what i find out
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 93F150cj
I figured that was what was probably wrong, I don't mind, as long as it does turn on which it does, for future reference what are these door sensors like? like what is it, or where is it? if anyone knows, thanks
It is a small switch that should be located somewhere near the door hinges.
It will be mounted to the body of the truck and when you close the door, it pushed the button in and turns off the light. The same way the switch on your refrigerator door works.

Quick Reply: Dome Light Goes on and off