Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Doesn't it look like my truck sits too low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Doesn't it look like my truck sits too low?

• 2000 Lariat
  • Mostly original parts
  • 145,000 miles
Does it look like it sits too low? Front driver side tire used to rub a little because the bumper is bent in a little, tires maybe a little too big.

Regardless, I want to lift it and I would love some suggestions on what y'all think would look good. I was thinking about leveling it with a 1.5" spacer in the front but now I'm not so sure, a 2" lift all around sounds kind of cool. Also, maybe just putting new coil springs? Idk, need advice please.

Thoughts, pointers?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

2wd? Looks normal.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tackle
2wd? Looks normal.
Yeah, 2wd. Ok cool.

Do you have any lift opinions on it? I've been working on it so much it's kind of turned into a hobby, lol.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I was about to ask if it was 2wd lol, but yeah it looks normal for a 2wd. You could get the smaller tires, and / or the lift kit to change how it looks a little.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by texisman
Yeah, 2wd. Ok cool.

Do you have any lift opinions on it? I've been working on it so much it's kind of turned into a hobby, lol.
There's plenty of lift options for your truck. ..

Sounds like you're getting the bug... uh oh...

I got that once... started stock, then bigger tires, then body lift and bigger tires, then suspension lift and bigger tires, then bigger tires, and next thing ya know I'm on 12" of lift on 1 ton axles on 40s asking myself, what the hell happened? I can barely get in Lol

I'm now about a foot lower, and settled in... kicked the bug...

But you have options, if it were me and I had a 2WD that I wanted to mod and I lived in the right area I would go long travel and Baja the thing out... but that would never happen, being in the northeast I have no interest in a 2wd vehicle... I would do a 4wd conversion first, solid axles divorced t-case etc... or trade up for a 4x4...

I wouldn't lift a 2wd the conventional way, reason being, why do you need all that ground clearance? It ain't gonna help you get over anything, more tires spinning will... and if it's strictly for looks, it looks a lot better when people see it's capable in the 4wd variety...

But if you're dead set on lifting your 2wd the conventional way... it's your business so....

My opinion is,

First choice, 3.5" spindles and a 2" block in the rear... or Fabtech makes a 7.5" lift

Then the less desirable is a body lift... this will leave your frame where it is in height and lift the body... I used to have one but took it out... this will allow bigger tires as well but the only clearance you gain is from the tires... this option is best if you already have a suspension lift and are looking to go even bigger....

I wouldn't go with leveling springs or spacers... you can look into them but they are a suspension tweak, not a lift...

There are more options but these are my suggestions... cost effective, and do the job...

You can get into the really expensive stuff from here... $3-5k so I'll leave this stuff out for now unless you want to hear about it but I personally wouldn't spend more than $2k... Again going on the assumption that I'd bother with a 2wd...
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM

What do you think about this 2" body lift?

Would I have to change anything besides splicing the gas tank feeder?

Last edited by texisman; 12-16-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
A7X

Well not long ago, the PA 2" kits didn't come with bumper brackets... looks as though they do now...

A 2" kit is fine... (as long as it raises the bumpers correctly)

Honestly for a first timer a body lift will take at the least 12 hrs to install...

Get the gap guards, if you don't, throw the truck away...

Seriously though,

If you're going small, get the 3.5" spindle and block kit... easier install and will look much better... if you plan on going bigger later, might as well go with the Fabtech right of the bat...

I had a body lift, I like it better with it gone, and felt good when I threw it in the recycle bin...
The following users liked this post:
texisman (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 PM
A7X

Stick with good brand names as well... for just short of $500 you could be lifted on spindles blocks and new shocks from rough country and be much happier and not deal with the installation of a body lift... I'll never put myself through that again...

Also if your having the work done by a mechanic, the price of install should be much cheaper with a spindle lift because it is just changing the Knuckles out and blocks n shocks... Not unbolting the whole body and bumpers and adding all kinds of pucks, brackets and extensions... I'm not going to get into the install of a body lift, that would be a longer post than my first one in this thread haha... go onto performance accessories site and look up your instructions... you'll find that it doesn't look like fun...

So what you spend on an actual lift you will save in not busting YOUR knuckles or shop fees...

Last edited by A7X; 12-16-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by A7X
Stick with good brand names as well... for just short of $500 you could be lifted on spindles blocks and new shocks from rough country and be much happier and not deal with the installation of a body lift... I'll never put myself through that again...

Also if your having the work done by a mechanic, the price of install should be much cheaper with a spindle lift because it is just changing the Knuckles out and blocks n shocks... Not unbolting the whole body and bumpers and adding all kinds of pucks, brackets and extensions... I'm not going to get into the install of a body lift, that would be a longer post than my first one in this thread haha... go onto performance accessories site and look up your instructions... you'll find that it doesn't look like fun...

So what you spend on an actual lift you will save in not busting YOUR knuckles or shop fees...
This http://www.roughcountry.com/ford-sus...it-528-20.html
The following users liked this post:
rambinca (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
A7X

Yes

Quick Reply: Doesn't it look like my truck sits too low?