Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Dash/Running Lights (1997 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash/Running Lights (1997 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L)

Dash/Running Lights (1997 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L)

Had doors open for long peroid of time. Went to start truck, truck wouldnt start cause of dead battery. Hooked up charger to trickle charge over night. FORGOT to turn key back when charger was on battery over night. This caused some part of the wiring harness to melt etc. Checked all the fuses. Daytime/Dash illumination fuse popped twice so thats what leads me to it being a short some where. I know my stuff and have done my research, I know for a fact its not a fuse problem! Any help as to which wiring harness i should start with would be great as well as any other additional info.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you pulled the dash/instrument cluster and traced those wires? Do you have issues with the head/tail lights working or just the dash?

There are metal structural supports the dash bolts to. Sounds like the exposed wire is shorting out on that up in/under the dash.
That harness runs over towards the right side through the headlight switch and then the fuse box.

Could be inside the switch itself (easy enough to pop out and check) if you're having issues with head/tail lights. I would pull that first and look for signs of burned wiring and plug blackening before crawling around under the dash.