Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Creaking Noise, Need Help!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Creaking Noise, Need Help!

I have a 98 f150 4x4 with a 4.6. 282xxx on the body and 90xxx on the drivetrain. Recently my truck started making creaking and squeaking noises coming from the front end that bugs the crap out of me. They are the worst when going slow and hitting small bumps and turning the wheel. I think it might be ball joints but it seems like something attached to steering too. Any suggestions? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
matchT (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why the thank you is on my previous post....but I have learned through this forum's "how to" remove and replace the upper control arm and lower ball joint.

I had an annoying squeeking noise from front left wheel, every bump, could rock the truck back and forth manually and hear the squeeking. As my wife manually rocked it, i sprayed every moving part with wd40 with no luck. I could not simulate if I jacked up, only with tires on the ground.
Worth the $80bucks to do it yourself and get tools from autozone for loan free. My guess is your truck needs replacement of upper control arm and lower ball joint.
Match
Old 07-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd try what matchT tried but I'd invest in a stethoscope-much easier to pinpoint noises when you have one. Could be any component in the susp which contains a joint. Also the stabilizer links and bushings can cause this.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:09 PM

I've been having the same issue with my truck, I picked up now shocks for the front and I'm hoping that may solve the issue
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigWhite
I have a 98 f150 4x4 with a 4.6. 282xxx on the body and 90xxx on the drivetrain. Recently my truck started making creaking and squeaking noises coming from the front end that bugs the crap out of me. They are the worst when going slow and hitting small bumps and turning the wheel. I think it might be ball joints but it seems like something attached to steering too. Any suggestions? Thanks!
It could be the rubber bushings at the upper and lower control arm try some spray grease on them and see if the noise goes away the rubber as it gets old get brittle and hard and can make a squeaking noise if it works the grease will work for a little while but replacing the bushing is what u will end up needing to do
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't bother with shocks on bushings- 9 out of 10 times this is ball joint. Look for a ripped boot and/or a dry joint. If it has a grease fitting, try greasing them. Otherwise I would highly recommend all four balljoints at once- especially with almost 300k on the suspension.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Ended up being a lower ball joint. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

This was my squeaking (driveing me crazy ball joints)! Ha I knew they were bad but untill I looked at them I had no idea how bad so my advice is if they squeaking don't keep driveing it. Check it out ASAP! They could be about to fall apart
Attached Thumbnails Creaking Noise, Need Help!-image-3330271576.jpg   Creaking Noise, Need Help!-image-1630533596.jpg  
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also suspected the shocks, so I removed them and still had the same noise. Hope you can find the issue.

I noticed the other side has an occasional squeak/thunk when vehicle settles. My newly acquired exprience tells me the ball joints are bad.

Interesting to note that the lower ball joint is replaceable but the upper ball joint it is best to purchase the whole uper control arm assembly. Pricing the the upper ball joint I noticed the whole arm assembly with ball joint is just as much as just the ball joint alone. Might as well have the contol arm bushings replaced\ by getting the whole assembly. On the lower control arm the price is steep so it is cheaper to just replace ball joint. all this based on autozone prices.

Matcht
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Damn, so I may have just bought new shocks for nothing. Well I'm gonna inspect my ball joints and control arms when I get off from work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking Noise, Need Help!