Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cranking the torsion bar

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cranking the torsion bar

well ive read 50 posts and 1/2 say crank em up leveling kits are junk and 1/2 say use leveling kits or truck will explode!!!
anyways ill try the torsion trick 1st, but im nub and need anyone to briefly tell me how/where the torsion is and cranking it.
thnx in advance.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM

Yes this info would be greatly appreciated on my part also, I have a 98 KC 4x4, 4.6..............thx
Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Ninja Taco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there are pro's and con's when cranking torsion bars. Pro's: Free 1-2" lift with very little effort. Con's: Wears out front end parts ie CV's. The aftermarket keys allow you to over crank them (resulting in busted CV's much faster) and require labor to install. The stock keys should give you enough lift to pretty much level your truck so I wouldn't buy the aftermarket keys. If you use your stock keys you are less likely to wear out parts as fast.

The torsion bars are easy to find. Look under your truck directly behind your wheel, and you'll see a round bar a few feet long leading to your frame. The end will have be enclosed in a steel box looking housing. On the bottom of that housing there is a hole, and inside that hole is the bolt in witch you want to turn to raise or lower your front end. (Clockwise lift's it)

Measure your fender height from level ground, turn your key bolts clockwise to the desired height, measure to make sure they are even, go for a drive on a bumpy road to settle everything, re-measure to make sure they are even, and repeat process until you have achieved the desired ride height, and levelness.

-Chris
The following users liked this post:
swampaz (07-15-2016)
Old 10-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Dirty South's Finest

ok its the same difference with keys and turning them up the both reindex the bar just with leveling keys your bolt aint turn up so you can get more lift all a key does is sit a notch lower on the bar there is no difference
Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM

thnx a ton bro. also noted dont exceed the shocks normal travel range.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Dirty South's Finest

yeah i have my factory ones maxed out on my truck and ive never had a problem with it i mean i need to have the ball joints replaced but they are also factory one and the truck has 200,000 miles on it only difference is its gonna ride a little stiffer in the front after you turn them up but it will with the leveling kit to you just need to have in alinged which shouldnt be that much
Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Ninja Taco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfarms
ok its the same difference with keys and turning them up the both reindex the bar just with leveling keys your bolt aint turn up so you can get more lift all a key does is sit a notch lower on the bar there is no difference
Just my opinion but aftermarket keys are a bad idea. Unless you like replacing cv's and a rough ride. If you really like the reverse rake look and don't mind the work, then go for it. The stock keys are fine if you just want to level it. That's just me though. Other people might feel differently.

Last edited by C Denny Run*; 10-27-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Dirty South's Finest

Originally Posted by C Denny Run*
Just my opinion but aftermarket keys are a bad idea. Unless you like replacing cv's and a rough ride. If you really like the reverse rake look and don't mind the work, then go for it. The stock keys are fine if you just want to level it. That's just me though. Other people might feel differently.
thats what i meant people say turning you stock keys up is a bad idea its the same thing as putting new keys in it just the new keys dont get turnt up if you wanna lift if up like 3 inchs over stock find someone with a chevy and trade keys with them
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM

its all a big hype the replacement keys still have to be cranked it just gets you to spend more money but the stock keys cranked are fine dont worry stuff wears out its part of trucks so wheel at ease my frinds your truck wont blow up believe me sheck out my profile for some pics of my truck stock with the keys cranked and then with the 5 inch lift and cranked to level it out again!! hope it helped
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Extreme Member

I lifted my truck up 3" with some aftermarket keys, im not sure if its the way to go. A great thing about it is the cheap price...but as some other people have already said, there are some downfalls. My truck rides a lot rougher now...so i have been looking at some 4 and 5 inch true suspension lifts, they are a bit more pricey, but after you have them on you wont have to worry about all the stuff with the torsion keys.

Btw...maybe by just cranking the factory keys, your ride won't be changed much. I am pretty sure mine are over cranked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cranking the torsion bar