Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Crank, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank, but won't start

I don't know much about electronics or EEC. I have a 1997 F150 XLT, 5.4 liter Triton, 4x4 AT...79,000 original miles, all stock, no after market accessories at all. The truck sat in the machine shed in Iowa while I toured the world with the Army. I've been driving it for a few years and haven't done much to it except oil and filters, brakes, tires, and battery (motorcraft from dealership). Driving to work one day the engine died, engine only. Neutral and tried to restart...cranks fine, but won't start. Didn't hear the fuel pump, so I changed it. Didn't work so I started testing for continuity and power to the pump. Of the four wires in the fuel pump connector outside the tank, only one has 12v power when the key is turned on, even in the first second the key is turned. Checked the mega-fuse, and changed the relay (didn't know how to check it). After reading this forum, I decided to check for spark also. I have no idea how to though because the coil packs are under the valve cover or something. The best way I could think to test for spark was to use starting fluid and crank the engine over. So I did, nothing. I heard that if you unplug the EEC then you should have spark, but I don't have a mechanical ignition. Unplugged the EEC turned it over spraying starting fluid in the air intake after the filter still nothing. Removed the EEC no burned smell. Opened it up, and all appears normal. What am I missing? Is there a fuseable link somewhere beside the mega-fuse and fuel pump relay? I am lost...please help.

Quick Reply: Crank, but won't start