Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

column shifter one off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
4.2xl black-out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default column shifter one off?

hey, new to the forum so please help me out
a couple of days ago i went to put my truck in to park and it would not go in on my gauge cluster. i went in park with the transmission but the needle on the gauge cluster is on reverse. now when i put it into reverse it says nuetral and neutral is drive and so on. i have all the gears so i kno my trans isent messed up i think it is just the shifter cable?

i am not sure can anyone tell me what to do to fix this or at least what happened

i have a 1999 f150 xl 4.2
Old 10-27-2007, 02:54 PM

Default PRNDL adjustment

Hello, a newbie here, but I think your problem is the
PRNDL adjuster wheel.
Look under the dash at the bottom of the steering column.
there is a small wheel with a fine cable running through it.
Make sure you are the correct gear...
carefully turn this and watch your indicator.

(this is how we fine tune them on the assembly line)
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM
TOGA TOGA TOGA

exactly on my cutlass me and my friend put in a head unit and the indicator didnt work, and me and my stepdad messed around with it and fixed it
Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 PM

It's a shift indicator cable.. Sometimes they get weak and break.. but like he said.. Just check it out under the steering column.. If that doesn't fix the problem.. Then the cable more then likely broke somewhere.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:13 PM
4.2xl black-out

alright i will check tommorrow and tell you what i see. thats for the reply's. so under the steering column theres like a little dial i mess with?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Ro™2k0F150

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine broke too.. but i rigged it with tape and a piece of string.. pull it so it can go back where the needle needs to be.. saved me a trip to the dealer.. eff! that!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Default My automatic transmission gear indicator problem

I have the same problem with my 1999 F-150. The gear indicating assemby for the automatic transmission has a cord inside a sheath. One end of the cord loops around a hook that rotates with the gear selecting lever. The other end is connected to the pointer that you see below the odometer.

I had the instrument cluster out anyhow to resolder the cold solder joint that is causing the odometer display to flicker and decided to look at the gear indicator problem, too.

Under the dashboard, and near the steering column is a white plastic yoke with a black plastic adjusting wheel. The sheath and cord of the indicator mechanism goes through the wheel inside the yoke and you can shorten or lengthen the cord by turning the wheel. It's a lot like the brake adjusting mechanism on a bicycle with hand brakes.

In my case, the yoke had cracked, so the wheel was free and riding on the sheath and no adjustment was possible. I unscrewed the 5-mm screw that fastens the yoke to the pickup and took the whole mechanism out and brought it into the house.

I then super-glued the yoke together. It seems pretty secure, but after all the work of getting the dash apart and getting the mechanism out, I didn't want to see it snap at the glue joint and be back at square-one. (Actually, as I was reviewing this post, I fiddled with the wheel and the glue joint snapped!)

So I went to the local Ford dealership and asked them to order a new yoke for me. Naturally that wasn't possible, and I had to order the whole mechanism for $36 not including sales tax and an expected wait of several days for delivery.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the "PRNDL" how to article on this site (http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...justment.html) to adjust mine, actually I have to do it every few months to keep it adjusted....

Last edited by F150Dan; 07-28-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Pointer Repair

Same problem, pointer was on D when transmission was in park. Bracket had broken & adjustment wheel allowed the cable to go slack. Repaired by using same screw that came out of broken piece of bracket & washer which gripped the part which holds the adjustment wheel. Pictures show broken bracket & screw with washer on it holding the top piece of the bracket with the wheel on it so it will tighten the cable enough to allow the pointer to be adjusted properly.
Attached Thumbnails column shifter one off?-photo-1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My bracket has broke completely now, I will have to try this...thanks.

Quick Reply: column shifter one off?