Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Column Shifter Making Transmission Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Column Shifter Making Transmission Slip?

If you read my other threads you'll know I'm having 4r100 transmission slipping issues. I've raked my brain trying to find the problem and now I'm leaning towards it being an electrical problem, not an internal transmission problem. I talked to a transmission tech and he said my problem was the solenoid pack. He said he replaces them all the time and was confident that was my problem, he was not trying to sell me a complete rebuild so I really don't have any reason to not trust him. But, I remember when I first got the truck (used) it shifted fine but I remember the column shifter was really tight, kinds hard to pull down into gear, not like the shifter was binding up it was more like the tightness was in the transmission. Well now that I've put several thousand miles on the truck the shifter is no longer tight and actually kind of loose and the transmission is slipping. Could that be my problem? Has anyone ever heard of that before?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Just no. Slipping of the trans is completely internal of the transmission.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by savatreatabvr
If you read my other threads you'll know I'm having 4r100 transmission slipping issues. I've raked my brain trying to find the problem and now I'm leaning towards it being an electrical problem, not an internal transmission problem. I talked to a transmission tech and he said my problem was the solenoid pack. He said he replaces them all the time and was confident that was my problem, he was not trying to sell me a complete rebuild so I really don't have any reason to not trust him. But, I remember when I first got the truck (used) it shifted fine but I remember the column shifter was really tight, kinds hard to pull down into gear, not like the shifter was binding up it was more like the tightness was in the transmission. Well now that I've put several thousand miles on the truck the shifter is no longer tight and actually kind of loose and the transmission is slipping. Could that be my problem? Has anyone ever heard of that before?
I don't think there is anyway possible for the column shifter to cause the transmission to slip.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jstockert
I don't think there is anyway possible for the column shifter to cause the transmission to slip.
I wasn't saying the shifter was making it slip I was asking if that could be related in any way to the slipping, maybe something internal where the shifter rod connects in the transmission?
Old 08-02-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by savatreatabvr
I wasn't saying the shifter was making it slip I was asking if that could be related in any way to the slipping, maybe something internal where the shifter rod connects in the transmission?
So what your saying is column shifter not making it slip, just somehow related to making it slip? Still no.

Quick Reply: Column Shifter Making Transmission Slip?