Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Cold Air Intake Vs. Throttle Body Spacer

Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Intake Vs. Throttle Body Spacer

So I was looking at this throttle body space on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F150-...spagenameZWDVW

And this cold air intake
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLD-...em230227578856

I was wondering which one should I get first. I wan't to get both. But don't have the money right know.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm voting for neither...

The spacers are crap, and don't do much. And why would you skimp on a intake? It is all that is standing between your expensive motor, and a expensive rebuild because of crap getting into the motor.

Save your money and shop around, don't just buy something because it is cheep and you have money burning a hole in your pocket. (I have learned this at the age of 18, which is a very good thing, lol) I have made the same mistake, and Will try to prevent my self from doing it again.

I got my K&N 77 series for 200 shipped off of summit for Christmas 2 years ago, and it is by far the pest deal I have ever seen.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This system looks pretty good also. It looks like a very well made system. My dad bought an S&B for his 7.3L diesel and loves it. I know an intake does more for a diesel then a gas motor but still a very well made product i think. I am considering just making my own and buying a K&N to put on it. I have made my own for my other 2 rangers and it has worked good so far (NOT OUT OF PLASTIC TUBE). I make them out of 3" aluminum pipe and they look pretty good. What do you guys think, is it to big of a risk for my motor 5.4L?

http://rpmoutlet.com/newf150.htm

Last edited by 02F-1504x4; 03-06-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I still say buy name brand. PPL Like K&N have been doing them longer and IMO make a good product. I have a K&N CAI On my truck,. IT gained 2x the claimed HP.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Former PSD owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do the throttle body spacers actually help in HP and/or fuelmileage??
Old 03-07-2008, 04:07 PM

i would go with store bought they are dyno tested and flow really well cuz they are all mandrell bent.. i went with the air force one intake and saw a 2mpg gain.... it made the truck sound completely different too worth every penny i spent on it...... my buddy has a tb spacer on his and he got another mpg or 2 out of it, he did not notice a big horsepower improvement but with gas prices the way they are its all about the mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would look into air raid and b&m for tb spacers
Old 03-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Former PSD owner

ok, thx
Old 03-08-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Ty- It is just pipeing and a filter there is no real threat to the motor.
The only thing with these knock offs is that they rarely bolt up as they are supposed to so you may have to fab up some better mounts. I have personally used a ebay kit on one of my cars and got rid of it for a aem just due to fitament. But with the simplicity of these truck systems i see no harm at all. I have also used these kits to make custom intakes for cars that dont have kits already made for them. In this instance i did just buy k&n filters to finish it off.
I would get the ebay kit for $50 and a k&n filter for $50 and for $100 you have a k&n kit without the stickers.
Hey if you want to spend an extra $150 for a sticker thats up to you thou.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would rather spend the 150 bucks to have something that has lots of R&D behind it, and a multi million dollar company's service. You can deal with some guy making these kits in his garage when you have problems, I will stick with K&N....
Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Solo92s10, i am not sayin that K&N is not a great product, but i believe that you are paying a lot for the brand name. S&B is not a huge brand, but i have talked to guys that replace their K&N with an S&B because it actually works better. My dad is one of those people. We gained HP and TQ along with fuel mileage going with S&B which is the "Not So Popular Brand". As far as making my own, i have had great luck so far (fingers crossed). I gained a great amount of power and spent half the price on my intakes, you just have to have a little know-how. I am not trying to affend anyone at all with the reply. Once again, i agree K&N is a GREAT product, i just dont have all that money to drop on the name.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Vs. Throttle Body Spacer