Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Clicking sound in the front end....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound in the front end....

Hello,

I did a little searching but wanted to start a thread as I am on the road for work and away from the garage who helps me work on my truck.

99 150 with apx. 175000 miles and I started hearing a clicking noise as I arrived at my destination. No noise at idle and it increases in frequency with speed. It doesn't sound consistent with every rotation but it is at minimum every rotation. Took the cap off, still clicking...4 lo and 4 hi, still clicking...forward and reverse, still clicking...turning right or left, still clicking. Front drivers side wheel area...

It is a clicking sound and one might think it was tin such as a dust shield or something hitting it. Just wondering peoples thoughts as I am bringing it into a garage here tomorrow because my knowledge is limited and I am without tools.

CV joint...bearing...dust shield???

Thanks for the thoughts and I'll post updates!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your inner and outter bearings, i had same noise and replaced my front passenger a few months back (when i took out the inner..lets just say im surprised it lasted that long lol)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a little surprised based on were the sound appeared to be coming from but it was a cooked front u joint. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quick Reply: Clicking sound in the front end....