Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Clicking noise behind odometer???

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clicking noise behind odometer???

Hope someone can help me! There is a clicking noise that seems to be coming from behind the odometer area on my 2000 5.4 F-150. It's starting to get on my nerves and also the odometer it self sometimes goes out and comes back, but it gives the correct reading while its out. Has anyone else had this problem??? Thanx in advance!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant find the forum, but theres been a large problem with odometers, im assuming its digital. Someone else will probably find it in the time I type this out. Its a very easy fix, just takes a little patiences getting the gauges out. Its the solders on the odometer that are cracked. All of mine were busted and i took some small solder and soldered em back together and havent had problems in the last year or so.

As far as clicking, im not sure....does it do it only in reverse, or is it all the time..on or off the brakes...mine clicks sometimes in reverse when im on and off the brakes, i just give the shifter a little tap and it goes away. i think its a relay clicking, and that might be what yours is. im not positive though.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cole_ford
cant find the forum, but theres been a large problem with odometers, im assuming its digital. Someone else will probably find it in the time I type this out. Its a very easy fix, just takes a little patiences getting the gauges out. Its the solders on the odometer that are cracked. All of mine were busted and i took some small solder and soldered em back together and havent had problems in the last year or so.

As far as clicking, im not sure....does it do it only in reverse, or is it all the time..on or off the brakes...mine clicks sometimes in reverse when im on and off the brakes, i just give the shifter a little tap and it goes away. i think its a relay clicking, and that might be what yours is. im not positive though.

It is a digatal odometer and the clicking noise is all the time. It sometimes goes away but soon returns... When I stop at red lights it stops but as soon as I pull off it starts again. Thats why I think it has something to do with the odometer.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Bleeds FORD Blue

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if were me, I would wonder if the clicking would start at the same time as the odometer acting funny. I dont know if the odometer has a relay or not, but that could be a possiblity. If the odometer isnt acting up when its clicking I would rule that out(just my 2cents). The F 150s, at least 98 to 2003, with the digital odometers, had problems with the solders cracking. there have been MANY posts on it. Im not gonna be much help with the clicking, but I think im right on the gauges.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise behind odometer???