Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Chatter comming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chatter comming from rear

Hey guys! got a 01 F150 5.8 L with 278K had it for a couple of years now, the problem is I notice a noise comming from the rear of the truck. awhile ago thought it was something loose like tail gate, because when I pulled out of my driveway which dirt on to a dirt road which had a few bumps I was getting this rattle like exhaust hitting something solid,what it sounded like at the time. when I got down the hill on to the main road paved it seamed to go away. I never heard it while going around turns that I noticed. I was working away alot so I nevered bothered with. The wife never mentioned anything. I gave the truck to my father too use while his car was being repaired. When I picked it up to bring it home pulling out of the drive the noise was that bad I stopped the truck, because I didn't know what it was it left after a bit. I put some additive in it and it went away for abit, then came back. I put some more in it same thing went away the noise came back. The thing I can't figure out is that it happens on straight not turns like everybody else, and it dosen't happen all the the time, it seems on colder days it's not has bad then. just wondering anyone else have this problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Suggest putting truck up on stands and try to duplicate there. If not, while on stands pull wheels to eliminate any brake type stuff. Then pull cover off and inspect. With noise on straights only, the LS clutches (if equiped) should be OK but not still subject to inspection. Am questioning the 5.8 in the 01?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM

I have the same EXACT chattering problem as you and I was wondering if you found a solution to the problem. I very concern that I might cause further damage if I continue to drive my truck. If anyone has any suggestion, please chime in.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM

I had a sound like that and it turned out that i had a broken swaybar link may want to look into that

Quick Reply: Chatter comming from rear