Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Changed Battery Cables, Truck Caught Fire

Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Changed Battery Cables, Truck Caught Fire

Hey Y'all,
Summary: Please help me by looking at the attached photos and telling me what the wires/lines are that I need to replace. I have no clue what they are called. I can replace them (and find threads/videos to help) if I know what they are.

Here is the whole story for those who care ...
I'm an amateur mechanic, and totally new to trucks and F-150s. My experience is with Subarus and Hondas.
Anywho, my 2000 5.4 F-150 wasn't starting. I eventually found the culprit to be the positive battery cable to the starter. So I picked up a couple 2 AWG cables and replaced the large battery cables running to the starter.
When I connected the new cables to the battery (specifically when I connected the ground to the battery), a (ground?) wire above the engine instantly lit up and caught fire. It melted apart a couple other wires or lines before I could put the fire out.
I am pretty sure I know what I did wrong here, and I plan on replacing the entire battery cable set with OEM parts and sanding the ground connections.
But I have no idea what I just melted/burned. Obviously, it's the handful of wires/cables in the photos, but what are those called so I can lookup replacements and how-to videos?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

-Zach

Old 09-15-2015, 12:02 AM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bobzavy89
Hey Y'all,
Summary: Please help me by looking at the attached photos and telling me what the wires/lines are that I need to replace. I have no clue what they are called. I can replace them (and find threads/videos to help) if I know what they are.

Here is the whole story for those who care ...
I'm an amateur mechanic, and totally new to trucks and F-150s. My experience is with Subarus and Hondas.
Anywho, my 2000 5.4 F-150 wasn't starting. I eventually found the culprit to be the positive battery cable to the starter. So I picked up a couple 2 AWG cables and replaced the large battery cables running to the starter.
When I connected the new cables to the battery (specifically when I connected the ground to the battery), a (ground?) wire above the engine instantly lit up and caught fire. It melted apart a couple other wires or lines before I could put the fire out.
I am pretty sure I know what I did wrong here, and I plan on replacing the entire battery cable set with OEM parts and sanding the ground connections.
But I have no idea what I just melted/burned. Obviously, it's the handful of wires/cables in the photos, but what are those called so I can lookup replacements and how-to videos?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

-Zach

Second picture:
left is a braided ground wire (copper or aluminum) grounds engine to body [check local junk/you pull it yards] yes it is needed
Right looks like vacuum lines from this angle If electrical need to find the other wire to figure out what it is.

Hope this helps
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

The "what are they" in the second picture is all vacuum lines. ill take a picture or two of mine so you can have some reference.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Ok my 03 is different but I have a 2000 at home with the same setup.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys.
They are vacuum lines? For what? Cruise Control? 4x4?
I failed to mention that mine is a 4x4.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 PM

Alright im going to explain these in order. Black goes to the vacuum reservoir behind the battery. Red goes to the fuel pressure regulator at the egr. White goes to the driver side firewall to something I honestly forgot the name of. Lol
Attached Images     

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed Battery Cables, Truck Caught Fire