Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Catalytic replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic replacement

I spent the day trying to get my Catalytic converter (passenger side) off. I got all the bolts and nuts off. I'm still working on one of the sensors up by the exhaust manifold.

Question, To get this thing off, do I have to take off the muffler too? Or to what point to I have to take off or lossen up. Any tricks getting that last sensor off?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 PM

So does the exhaust have to be removed to get the catalytic converter off?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Well from all my looking this topic up and researching it being that here in the very near future me and my buddy are taking our cats off and anyway, i've learned theres atleast 2 different set ups the cats are ran on our generation trucks. One is the O2 sensor is either between the 2 cats on each side, or actually into the back cat, which i was lucky enough to end up with....sense the sarcasm there. Anyway, if the O2 sensor is in between, your good to go with a sawzaw, cuttin torch and a welder. Otherwise you gotta actually get in there, take out the sensor, remove the cats, then weld in a new pipe and fasten the sensor back in the new pipe
Old 08-09-2010, 11:34 AM

The project continues. I've decided to replace the exhaust manifolds with probably JBA shorty headers. Deciding what to replace the cats with. Had to take both set of catalytic converters finding out the other side was bad too. While I'm added I might throw on a better sounding more free flowing muffler. Suggestions welcomed.

Just for future reference for others that might one day read this thread, I needed to take the driver side cat off and the tran crossmember to get the passenger cat off in one piece.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How much are you paying for the headers? Have you looked at OBX? They have a long tube with high flow cats set up that would bolt right up.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25 PM

I'm looking at 400 for the headers. I've seen and heard about OBX a little. Wasn't sure how they compared to the JBA's. From what I hear, the JBA's are really good as far as turning out some noticable improvements. Got any more info on the OBX? I'd like to hear a little bit more about them or your expierence with them.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a link to the Dealer site on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM

I think I'm going to stick with the JBA's. Not real sure about the OBX's. Appears they don't really have cats, just resonators. Don't really wan't to go without. I wonder if how hard it would be to put in true highflow cats instead of the resonators?

I don't really know how the two compare for over all street drivability and which does which. I hear the JBA's do a pretty good job throughout the range. I think the long tubes give you more low end.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Default need some help

I havent been following to close to this topic,I am in need of replaceing my cats,Not sure what size motors your running.but mine is a juncky 4.2 v6 and had found out that the replacement pipes (resinators/catalytic) are very expensive.any suggestions on replaceing from manifold to muffler, at a cheeper rate? I have found cats for about 60 dollars ea.can I use some of the exsisting pipe were the 02 sensors screw in and flex pipe to join evrything?Do I need the resinatoros? any suggestion to head me down the right road of ease and do-it yourself...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:46 AM

You are right, they OEM replacements are very expensive. So are some of the aftermarket direct bolt on replacements. What I have been told is that the existing OEM pipes are very good and sturdy and can last a long time, so it is feesable to replace just the cat section. I've been told, the best way to do this is bring it to a shop and have them weld it in. I'm still in the processes of investigating this myself, so stay tuned. I have both my cat pipes off and still looking for replacements. I was going to go with just a direct bolt on myself, but than I found out I had to replace both sides and my bill kept going up and up. I'm looking at a set up high flow upper end cats and you would replace the resignator and cat with it. So I've been told. These guys are still about as expensive as a cheaper set of direct bolt ons I was going to purchase. I'm going to be calling some shops to see what they would charge to weld in the new cats and pipes (extension/connection).

Also cats don't go bad unless something else is wrong. I bought my truck not too long ago and I'm assuming the issues it may have had are long gone since I've had it checked over more than once. I am replacing the O2 sensors. For sure replace the front ones. These go bad over time.

Quick Reply: Catalytic replacement