Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

cat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat question

i put a glasspack on my 97 5.4 but its still not loud enough. i want to cut my cats off now. i was readin around and it seemed like everyone who cut off only their rear cats didnt have any problems(wasnt a 97 though). i phoned a muffler shop to get them taken off but he said i couldnt because i have sensors and the cel light will come on and my gas mileage will drop to 0. is this true? i thought you got better gas mileage without your cats? can i get rid of the 2 rears without screwin everything up?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been wondering about this too, I want to cut them off or gut them, but if my CEL turns on I don't really have the cash to buy new cats to replace the ones I destroyed.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM

cut the back two cats off. it will throw on the service engine soon light after a few days and if that bothers you i just recently found out about o2 simulators you put them place of your o2 sensor and it will tell your computer that it's getting a good reading so the service engine soon light will turn off and stay off. try o2simulators.com
Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM

im not too worried about the engine light. its the gas mileage im worried about. will it really drop?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Extreme Member

Yeah man i'd go for it. i cut off all 4 of mine and replaced them with some hi-flo's, which is basically the same as cutting off the back two. NOO problems!! great sound!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kookookachew
I've been wondering about this too, I want to cut them off or gut them, but if my CEL turns on I don't really have the cash to buy new cats to replace the ones I destroyed.
NY, eh. The other day I took my econo car in for smog check to re-register. The guy looked under the car with a mirror on a long stick and counted the cats. I may be scrooed when I take my truck in........
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in California muffler shops will not remove any cats as it is illegal to modify the stock catted hpipe. California may be the state with the most restrictions.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONELOWF
NY, eh. The other day I took my econo car in for smog check to re-register. The guy looked under the car with a mirror on a long stick and counted the cats. I may be scrooed when I take my truck in........

Well, I go to a guy who's not too strict on things like that, but if the CEL is on he can't pass me because he has to hook it up to his computer.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just have them hollow that cats out. Pretty much what they will do is cut out your cats, hollow them out, then clamp or weld them back into place. They should remove the o2 sensor when hollowing out the cats, but after it is hollowed out and welded back into place you can simply screw the o2 sensors back into the stock holes. This way it will pass the visual inspection and you wont need to buy fake o2 sensors to keep you truck from throwing a check engine light.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't have to pass the visual or can get around it, then the rear cats can be deleted as long as the rear O2s are re-installed.

Quick Reply: cat question