Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Can i just swap ignition cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can i just swap ignition cylinders?

I have a 99 F150 5.4 and the key locks in the off position and must be giggled for minutes at a time for it to break loose. I found a 2001 F150 7700 and took the ignition cylinder out of that, it was being scrapped, and thought I could just replace mine. It sounds promising but just won't turn over. I'm assuming its the anti theft or some electronic gizmo that won't allow this. The ignition cylinder from the 2001 7700 has orange plastic on it. Mine does not. Is the 7700 ignition cylinder not compatible? Do i have to leave the new cylinder in the on postition for up to 15 minutes for the computer to recognize it? I heard that. Does the dealership have to get involved? I don't care that I'll need one key to open the door and another to start it. Any help appreciated. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Dougmo (02-13-2022)
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have PATS there will be a red light with a lock flashing quickly. If this is your problem you can try holding one of your other keys close to the lock cylinder and try to start it and if it still doesn't recognize it you can take the column shroud apart and remove the transponder ring and wire tie the old key in it and hide it back inside the column shroud. That requires a little effort but should work and is free. The reason you can't add the new key to the PATS computer is you have to turn the two master keys to the run position for 3 seconds each then you can add a new key but turning it to run for 3 seconds as well. You can try to do it and swap out the cylinder between the two master keys and the new key. I've never tried it and doubt it'd work but you can try it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM

If i hold my original key next to the ignition while i try to turn the other key. The other key is from a different vehicle. It may recognize it and work? And continue working afterwards without the original key being held next to the ignition? The truck is recognizing the chip in the original key by proximity to the ignition and not actually being in the ignition?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM

I've held my original key next to the ignition but it still interferes with the PATS system. The dealership thinks that if i took the RFID chip out of the new key then it would work. I don't need the new key so i think i'll try it.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM

I removed the RFID chip from my new key and now the theft light doesn't blink quickly but it still won't start. Do I have a superduty ignition cylinder? Is that why it won't work? It has orange plastic on it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:28 PM

The code is picked up by a transponder ring around the cylinder so if you have the original key close enough it should work. If the theft light isn't blinking quickly it shouldn't be PATS keeping the truck from starting anymore, it may be a problem with the ignition switch or that the new cylinder isn't quite right somehow and isn't triggering the ignition switch. It's kind of hard to say from here.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 AM

F250 and F150 ignition cylinders are the same part from 1997-2003. The 2001 ignition cylinder I have has an orange plastic piece on it with a little metal pronged thing. The 1999 one i have, the original cylinder, had a grey one. They pop right off. I put the grey one from the 99 onto the 2001 cylinder and as long as the original key was right against the other it turned right over. I can't believe i got something to work. I don't have much experience fixing cars. I got a razor blade and shaved the plastic cover off that houses the RFID chips and swapped the 99 chip into the 2001 key. I don't know if the switching the covers makes a difference but it seemed to on mine. What you guys said was correct and helpful. Thank you
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Yeah it might be that something about the plastic piece is what actually moves the ignition switch then. I'm glad you got it working, and probably saved some $$ in the process

Quick Reply: Can i just swap ignition cylinders?