Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

caliper pins

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caliper pins

My caliper seems to be sticking. My caliper pins were gummed up. My pin boots were also in bad shape. But it's only a small piece of rubber. I cleaned them good with some brake cleaner.The pins are flat on two sides but they still spin in a complete circle. Does anyone know if the pins are supposed to spin or not. I don't know why they are flat on two sides. I'm trying to figure out if I'm good to put it back together or if I have other issues
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM

they are flat on two sides so that they won't spin when you tighten up the caliper bolts (one of the flat sides will be up against the caliper). basically make sure you can pull them in and out (that is what they do on the car, they don't spin, they slide in and out as you press and release the brakes if that makes sense lol). As long as they slide freely in and out of the bridge, you will be fine. And when you put them back in the bridge make sure to grease them so they don't seize up again!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 PM

That makes sense. I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to lock in place on the outside or not but now it makes perfect sense. I have had that question all day. I think I can get it back together when I get home not that I know. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Are you speaking of the anti-pistoning channel that runs the length of most internal guide pins?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM

I had that happen, one of the pins froze up and it ended up wrecking the pads on that side real quick. Got it unfrozen after a lot of effort, and just keep it real lubed up and check on it regularly, bought new boots, but lost them before I got a chance to put them on.... as long as they slide you should be good to go

Quick Reply: caliper pins