Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Cabin thermostat problem - 02 F150 S'crew Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin thermostat problem - 02 F150 S'crew Lariat

My 02 F150 Screw cabin thermostat does not function properly.

Truck has the Lariat package with electronic dash control. If I set the heater thermostat at 72 degrees the cabin is cold. If I crank it up to 85 it gets warm but if it is very cold outside (teens) I have to set it at Max (90) then it warms up to unbearably hot then set back down to 85 and it cools down again (I'd guess to around 65).

This morning I had to travel approximately 150 miles in the mid-teens and I had to intermittently jog up to 90 degrees then gets too hot and haveto jog back to 85 degrees. 15 minutes later back up to 90 degrees. On my home the outside temps were around 50 and I had it set to around 82 and cabin was comfortable for the trip home.

Antifreeze level is good, engine temp gage always seems normal (gradual heat up and holds at normal)

I bought this truck new and have never had any other issues to speak of.

Is there a cabin filter or something else I could check to figure this out?

Thanks for any help.

Fairway
Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

On the surface it sounds like the controls are working ok but your presentation indicates that something is not correct.
First question: When you say 90 is unbearably hot, are you saying its hotter than it ever has been?
Second question: Have you used a thermometer at the driverside vent to get a accurate reading and not just touch?

As for the cabin filter, Ford didn't put one in at the factory but I have heard rumors that a few dealers added some. I would say that if you haven't found it the 6 yrs you have owned it that you don't have one.

Last edited by torkum; 02-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 PM

torkum,

Unbearably hot meaning the cab temperature is probably close to 90 degrees or whatever a water circulating system max temperature would typically achieve. It is not hotter than it would have been on the few occasions over the years that I may have had the thermostat control to its highest (90 degrees).

No - I have not placed a thermometer at the drivers side vent. I can't say that anything is "hot to the touch". I am gauging this by typical comfort level that the truck used to have or any other vehicle of similar equipment has when functioning properly.

I read something in other posts about a "blend door actuator" but on this model it must be electronically controlled via feedback from the cabin thermostat/sensor of sorts apparently going bad.....

Hoping someone may have seen this before and point me to the problem.

Fairway.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 AM
OVERTHINKER

I don't think you have a blend door problem [ sticks at one setting]. Without verifying the temps you could have a calibration problem with the control panel.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM

How do i calibrate?

Thanks. F
Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 AM
OVERTHINKER

This is not a calibration but a self diagnostics that the system will run on itself and display codes if a problem exists.

To enter the self test:
Press the OFF and FLOOR button simultaneously.
Press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The test may run for as long as 30 seconds.
Record the numbers that appear and post.

Keep in mind that the little vent below the unit is the in cabin temperature sensor and if its dirty that could alter the temps being read.
Also the round clear button on top of the dash is a sunload sensor that assists the system too.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:23 PM

Default Looking for the fix for the same heating issue

How was this fixed

Quick Reply: Cabin thermostat problem - 02 F150 S'crew Lariat