Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

A/c Evaporator QUESTIONS!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/c Evaporator QUESTIONS!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ok, Last year right at winter my a/c went out. I put in two cans and it would be gone in a day. Leak obviosly but it was getting ready to snow so I said screw it......TILL NOW! Bought uve dye and injected into system to track down said leak... Nothing nowhere. Wife went out and was looking and found it . The dye was in the condensation on the ground. Ok, Evaporator right.... Well im not sure yet.... I pulled the dash out this afternoon. About 5 hours solo.. I wouldn't wish that job on ANYONE>... got it out got to the evap and got my uv light and....NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope its on the back side or the bottom.... If its in the condensation it has to be coming from that box right???? I sure hope i didnt do all this work for nothing. I have to go get a line removal tool i the am....
Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If 2 cans leaked out in a matter of days, you have a very large leak. By now, you may have not have any freon (or r1341 or whatever). If you don't have freon in the system keeping the pressure high, air and moisture will get in.

First, measure the pressure now, AC off. See how low it is. You can decide how to fix the leak after that. (what parts to replace, just O-rings or more)
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 AM

If I have a leak I should see the dye...... Correct'???
Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If the dye on the ground was from the condensate drain, then yes, I would think the dye would also be present on the evaporator core. Assuming you are still all together as far as the AC hoses, what are the pressures sitting static? Can you see evidence from the drain line itself or did the dye leak from someplace forward of the firewall?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Evap out and boy am i pissed..... no dye in box or anywhere on evap...... Now what. Did i mention I didnt have the system fully depressurized and when i took the hose off it sprayed dye all over the engine.... what now?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by twilson16
Evap out and boy am i pissed..... no dye in box or anywhere on evap...... Now what. Did i mention I didnt have the system fully depressurized and when i took the hose off it sprayed dye all over the engine.... what now?
With most projects, I'm all for a do it yourself attitude. But with an AC system, it best to take it to a professional. You will pay up front. When you try to fix them yourself, if not done right, you can trash the whole system and cost yourself alot more in the end.
They take a special knowledge, and specialized tools to repair.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I missed you already removed the evaporator. Since the system is open, there is only one option. Replace hoses, dryer, and orifice minimum. Since AC was working last winter, hope compressor is okay. Test evaporator for pinhole leak. Hope all goes well.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 AM

Yeah, Honestly I guess i have to much pride to actually let someone else do the work and here is why. I can live with out a/c really when it comes down to it. We all can... i understand that... I cant afford a dealer to tear into a 13 year old truck just for a/c . If I pay a shade tree mechanic (nothing wrong with these types) I just feel there is nothing he is doing that I cant. I have always made my own repairs and i will probably go with out ac before I pay to have it fixed. Parts online are so cheap anymore... Went to pic a part and pulled evap and housing lid since i broke the old one... I was just going for lid and decided hell ill take the evap too... i ended up putting that one in and think im just going to get accumulator,hoses, then see where i am at.... As far as charging the system I do let the pros handle that part....
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hang in there Buddy, I have trouble in letting others touch my rig also. When you get this all put together, go to AutoZone, give them a deposit for an AC system vacuum pump, you will need a set of gauges, turn on the pump and let her pull the system into a vacuum (-25 to -30) on the gauge. If it won't go that low and hold that amount it still has a leak someplace. Its to bad that the vacuum pump can't be reversed to pressurise the system and check joints with soapy water.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 AM

Will do. I just ordered the accumulator and am looking athe the entire hose manifold set online right now. My a/c should be fine dont you think and condensor ? Gotta start somewhere...

Quick Reply: A/c Evaporator QUESTIONS!?!?!?!?!?!?