Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

bypass rear brakes on 1998 f150XL

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypassing Rear Brakes on 1998F150XL

The front passenger side brake line on my 1998 F150XL sprung a leak just above where the metal brake line connects to the brake hose. So I went to replace the line, and now I have two questions:
1. Can I just disconnect the rear brakes at the master cylinder and connect the brake line directly from the master cylinder to the front passenger side, and then disconnect the ABS plug and fuse. I don't drive this truck on the highway, and rarely go over 30mph so I'm thinking the front brakes should be enough. The reason I am thinking of trying to bypass the rear brakes is the back brake lines look pretty rusty.
And
2. If I don't bypass the rear brakes and just try to replace the line, then where exactly does the brake line connect into the system? It seems to disappear under the engine... so I have no idea how long of a line I should buy to replace it.
Thanks to anyone who can give me on what to do here, since I am low on $$$ so taking it to a garage is not an option. I appreciate any advice that you think will help.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Default bypass rear brakes on 1998 f150XL

The front passenger side brake line on my 1998 F150XL sprung a leak just above where the metal brake line connects to the brake hose. So I went to replace the line, and now I have two questions:
1. Can I just disconnect the rear brakes at the master cylinder and connect the brake line directly from the master cylinder to the front passenger side, and then disconnect the ABS plug and fuse. I don't drive this truck on the highway, and rarely go over 30mph so I'm thinking the front brakes should be enough. The reason I am thinking of trying to bypass the rear brakes is the back brake lines look pretty rusty.
And
2. If I don't bypass the rear brakes and just try to replace the line, then where exactly does the brake line connect into the system? It seems to disappear under the engine... so I have no idea how long of a line I should buy to replace it.
Thanks to anyone who can give me on what to do here, since I am low on $$ so taking it to a garage is not an option. I appreciate any advice that you think will help.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

No you cant do that. The master cylinder has 2 pistons that create different amount of pressures. Just replace the lines, the same way they are ran from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Partridge (09-25-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

X2. Replace the pass side line or repair it. Wait til the rear line actually fails. Regardless of speed and where you drive. Bypassing the brakes just isn't the way to go. If you can't afford to fix it in proper way. Do the rest of us a favor, park it! Not just your life is at stake!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 AM

Received 5,529 Likes on 4,613 Posts

You purchase brake line by the roll to do it yourself. You'll need a double flare kit. They aren't hard to make. Easy to do yourself.

Btw, - nah, don't delete the rear brakes and the engine isn't in the way. You'll see once you have at it. I gutted everything, purchased a 26' roll of line and went to town...didn't take long at all.

Edit: Also, the reason you blew the line up front is most likley do to brake hose collapse inside...that's what they do and plug or restrict flow, - at the same time the hose will blow up like a balloon if you brake hard. Brake hoses are one of the most neglected parts in this system. Most never get changed while everything around them does. lol.

Last edited by Jbrew; 09-24-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 5,529 Likes on 4,613 Posts

Oh great, - double thread. Just noticed after I replied in the other one.... here, -

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/bypassi...f150xl-315415/
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My God... just fix it right. Brakes are not something you just get rid of because you think you dont need them! If you get a flat tire, are you just going to take it off and drive it because you still have three that hold air?

For the safety of others on the road, FIX IT OR PARK IT.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM

Default I fixed the lines... here's what I learned:

Thanks for all the advice/help. I replaced the lines. It turns out that..
1. The front passenger side brake line just went across the front axle to the brake hose on the front driver side
2. If the old lines are rusty, cut them close to where they connect to the hose. This makes it a lot easier to unscrew the line from the hose, since the nut/connector on the line rusts/seizes onto the line.
3. Don't bother using wrenches on the old rusty lines. Vise grips work better.
4. It seems impossible to remove the old line and the rusty clips holding it. Just leave the old line in and run the new line on top of the old one. The line seems so stiff that I doubt if clips are needed to hold it in place.
5. WEAR GOGGLES... because when you are under the car running the new line between the front wheels, a TON of dirt/rust will be falling in your face.

The whole thing took me about 4-5 hours, but I spent some of that time watching some squirrels and petting a dog, so most people could probably do it in 2.

Well, thanks again for the advice!
BareBonesXL (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had rear line break on me few years ago.

Originally Posted by TRD-Toy
X2. Replace the pass side line or repair it. Wait til the rear line actually fails. Regardless of speed and where you drive. Bypassing the brakes just isn't the way to go. If you can't afford to fix it in proper way. Do the rest of us a favor, park it! Not just your life is at stake!
i had brake line break on me fews years back. It was xmas and i was terrified. I had no brakes at all. Ran so many lights. Went up hill to slow diwn. Pulled in convenient store to use curb to come to stop. People inside scared. Parked truck. Had shop pickup truck and tech thought he could drive it over. He backed up almost hit van went forward into the store.

Pls be safe. Fix it right. To replace all rear lines was $500 and truck was safe again.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:20 PM
Smarter than most Racoons

Received 1,297 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkam
i had brake line break on me fews years back. It was xmas and i was terrified. I had no brakes at all. Ran so many lights. Went up hill to slow diwn. Pulled in convenient store to use curb to come to stop. People inside scared. Parked truck. Had shop pickup truck and tech thought he could drive it over. He backed up almost hit van went forward into the store.

Pls be safe. Fix it right. To replace all rear lines was $500 and truck was safe again.
Sounds like you need to fix your parking / emergency brake also.

Quick Reply: bypass rear brakes on 1998 f150XL