Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Buzzing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Lariat01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buzzing Noise

Hey guys I got a question I'll try to keep it short. I got a 01 Lariate 5.4 I just changed the spark plugs and the coil boots. Did a test drive and it responded like it was new, but now i have a buzzing noise. I traked it down and found that it was the hose on the top left cylinder head if your facing the engine. I pushed down on it and it and the noise faded. If you push down hard enough it goes away. The hose can not be pushed in anymore than it is. Any ideas thanks.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM

Mine does the same thing. Its nothing harmful, just annoying. Its the egr valve (i believe that what is called) Anyway, the plastic piece that goes into your valve cover that the hose is attached to has a little open and close valve in it. There is a spring above the valve that lets pressure though the hose, the spring goes bad or breaks and theres nothing applying pressure to the plastic valve. What you are hearing is the little plastic valve piece "buzzing" inside the plastic housing since the spring isnt applying pressure back on it anymore for whatever reason.

So, get a new egr valve or leave it. Either way, no harm is being done, but i agree, its annoying and i hate it the most when i shut the engine off and thats the last thing I hear is that buzzing winding down
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by BOMBO
Mine does the same thing. Its nothing harmful, just annoying. Its the egr valve (i believe that what is called) Anyway, the plastic piece that goes into your valve cover that the hose is attached to has a little open and close valve in it. There is a spring above the valve that lets pressure though the hose, the spring goes bad or breaks and theres nothing applying pressure to the plastic valve. What you are hearing is the little plastic valve piece "buzzing" inside the plastic housing since the spring isnt applying pressure back on it anymore for whatever reason.

So, get a new egr valve or leave it. Either way, no harm is being done, but i agree, its annoying and i hate it the most when i shut the engine off and thats the last thing I hear is that buzzing winding down

It's the PCV valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) and yes it is most likely what is being described as the problem. I had the same exact problem and a new PCV valve fixed the problem. I would replace it.

Here is the thing, anyone can change and it takes about a minute to do. The cost? Advance Auto Parts sells the part for $1.12 and that's all you need. Why live with an annoyance when it is such an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Buzzing Noise