Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

broken bolts in rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bolts in rear caliper

My Name Is James And I Own A 2003 F150 4x4 And My Brakes Were Making A Weird Noise And I Went To Change Them And Found That My Right Rear Brake Caliper Bolts Were Broken I Looked At The Rotor And It Looked Perfectly Fine And The Slippers On The Mounting Bracket Were Worn And One Was Gone. So I Went Ahead And Put The New Brake Pads On Put New Bolts And Now I Have A Bad Noise Again And A Real Grumbly Sound. The Mounting Bracket Is Really Worn Out Where The Brake Pads Were Hitting So I Went Ahead And Ordered A New One I Beleive That This Will Fix My Problem But I Was Wondering If Anybody Has Heard Of This And If They Think That Will Solve My Problem
Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board!

Sorry, I have never heard of that happening before. I am sure it can/does happen, I have just not had any experience with it happening. You might want to check the rear rotor just to be sure it is still straight and not warped at all. We have some very experienced members here and I am sure someone will have some more/better suggestions for you.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take it apart and see what is rubbing. It might be unsafe to drive.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by dewman
Welcome to the board!

Sorry, I have never heard of that happening before. I am sure it can/does happen, I have just not had any experience with it happening. You might want to check the rear rotor just to be sure it is still straight and not warped at all. We have some very experienced members here and I am sure someone will have some more/better suggestions for you.

Hey thank you, i checked out the rotor it looks perfect, when the bolts were broke the caliper was rubbing on the rotor and their is a wear spot on the caliper, but nothing serious so i dont think that the rotor is messed up
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
I would take it apart and see what is rubbing. It might be unsafe to drive.

Thank you, i took it a part and i couldn't see anything rubbing, so i ordered the mounting bracket and put it back together. i drove it around and it took awhile for the noise to start happening again. i'm not driving it the noise sounds way to bad and i don't want to make things worse.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said that you got a new caliper mounting bracket? If so,did it come with new slide pins that the caliper bolts to? If not make sure that the slides are moving freely and not binding, also there are different size diameter slide pins,it might be possible that they are not the right diameter and there is too much play which can cause the pins too bind. You might want to remove the rotor and check that the parking brake shoes are intact and in good shape.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Where did you find the mounting bracket. I am trying to track one down and I have had 3 stores tell me that they cant find it. I have an 02 F150 FX4 with the 5 lug pattern.

Quick Reply: broken bolts in rear caliper