Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Brakes...Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Wanna-be mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brakes...Mistake?

So I did the first front brake job on my 2000 since getting it

Factory original brakes lasted 52k miles...pretty good!

Here's what happened though:

I used a big C-clamp to push the pistons back down into the cylinders

But I put the stem of the clamp down INTO the bottoms of the pistons

And it may have been a bit too big on the bottom

And possibly flared the metal

And made the pistons stick

Because now the brakes are stuck and won't back off the rotors

I think I shoulda (coulda, woulda) used the old pads to back the pistons down

Instead of directly using the clamp

Trying to diagnose the problem...what is your opinion?

If I have to I will buy new calipers

But if there's something else to try first, it will save me some money and aggravation

Please give me a response if you have one

Thanks people
Old 01-22-2010, 06:42 PM

best bet is buy new calipers. I cracked a piston on mine and the only thing i could do was buy a new one. they are not that expensive if you have the core. not sure how to get them off the rotors other than using a hammer to beat them off. but you might not have a core to give them
Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Wanna-be mechanic

Originally Posted by jclark
best bet is buy new calipers. I cracked a piston on mine and the only thing i could do was buy a new one. they are not that expensive if you have the core. not sure how to get them off the rotors other than using a hammer to beat them off. but you might not have a core to give them
Thanks jclark!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Hunter of Moose

Are you able to remove the calipers?
I would remove them if you can and inspect everything. The problem sounds odd...
Is it just one wheel? both?. Try to remove both to verify.

I use large C-style vise-grips on all my brake jobs thus far and one end goes in piston as you did. Never had one damaged by this. They are quite though, so I'd be surprised if that is the problem.
Keep us in the loop
You can also buy the pistons separately and replace just that if it is indeed damaged, but as jclark stated, calipers are not that expensive.

Last edited by ottawaguy; 01-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Wanna-be mechanic

Originally Posted by ottawaguy
Are you able to remove the calipers?
I would remove them if you can and inspect everything. The problem sounds odd...
Is it just one wheel? both?. Try to remove both to verify.

I use large C-style vise-grips on all my brake jobs thus far and one end goes in piston as you did. Never had one damaged by this. They are quite though, so I'd be surprised if that is the problem.
Keep us in the loop
You can also buy the pistons separately and replace just that if it is indeed damaged, but as jclark stated, calipers are not that expensive.
I am gonna take 'em back off and look close...couldn't figure it out on the test drive yesterday

I have often clamped pistons directly back down on other vehicles

But I did notice that it took an extreme amount of force...one side had to be done twice 'cause it didn't go quite far enough

And I saw some metal filings in the bottom of the piston afterwards

Last night was when I had the awful feeling that what I did was a mistake

So I figured I would ask some people who might have better mechanical and diagnostic skills than I do

Both sides are hurtin'
Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Zombie Killer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would always recommend using one of the old brake pads to squeeze the pistons back in. Don't forget to open your reservoir so the fluid can move freely. In your situation though, you could always try picking up a new seal kit and take the calipers off the truck completely. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL ON THE NEXT PART THOUGH! Use a rubber-tipped blow nozzle hooked up to compressed air and slowly and carefully blow air into the caliper at the brake line fitting. Keep at it and slowly see if you can work the pistons out with the air behind them. Another suggestion would be to soak the caliper in some solvent overnight and see if that helps free it up. If you are successful at removing the pistons, try cleaning them up with a small file and emery cloth. Then just reassemble the caliper with the new seal kit and see if that helps. The other option would be to buy a new set of calipers. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND BE CAREFUL. Keep the pistons pointed away from you as well. Good Luck hope this helps!