Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

body lift vs suspension lift?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Fords r us

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Question body lift vs suspension lift?

body lift vs suspension lift? - why would you choose one over the other?
i know body lifts tend to be cheaper than suspension lifts, but suspension lifts can give more speed over the rough due to the increased vertical range of travel of the wheels... what else?

thanks for your time
jg
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

suspension lifts ride better than body lifts, you get more flex with a suspension lift, they look better imo. not saying there's anything wrong with body lifts, i have one, suspension lifts are just better
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Fords r us

Default ride better?

Originally Posted by my2003Fx4
suspension lifts ride better than body lifts, you get more flex with a suspension lift, they look better imo. not saying there's anything wrong with body lifts, i have one, suspension lifts are just better
more flex makes perfect sense, but can you tell me more about riding better? what does just bringing the sheet metal up a few inches do to the springs and shocks (I assume) that would degrade the ride?

thanks jg
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Well its not just the lift its the wheels and tires, the stock suspension isnt designed for bigger, heavier tires and wheels but suspension lifts are. And I dont know if its the air that gets between the body and the frame or what but the ride quality is worse after the body lift (not near bad enough to make me want to get rid of my BL but its noticable).
Old 01-24-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With a body lift if you go to put a brush or bull guard on they don't look as good since the mounting point is 3 inches lower. I've considered body lift but figured with manual t-case and tranny it'd be too much of a pain and I don't want to mess with my throw cuz right now i love it.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Fords r us

Default aha!

Well its not just the lift its the wheels and tires, the stock suspension isnt designed for bigger, heavier tires and wheels but suspension lifts are. And I dont know if its the air that gets between the body and the frame or what but the ride quality is worse after the body lift (not near bad enough to make me want to get rid of my BL but its noticable).
thanks - i hadn't thought of that. the body lift would give room for bigger tires and wheels, but, as you point out, now the original shocks and springs are trying to deal with the larger and heavier wheels and tires... seems like a body lift can help, but whether i lift the suspension or not, i should seriously think about getting springs and shocks that can handle the weight increase.

good to know about the ride - i bet it is the air, that makes sense to me.

thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM

yea ive got a black bull bar sittin in the barn, im gonna make some kinda lift bracket one day
Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Fords r us

Default now i understand the 'gap' warning

Originally Posted by Big. D
With a body lift if you go to put a brush or bull guard on they don't look as good since the mounting point is 3 inches lower. I've considered body lift but figured with manual t-case and tranny it'd be too much of a pain and I don't want to mess with my throw cuz right now i love it.
good point!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:49 PM

you could always do both lol, im going to get a rough country lift one day, whenever i get stationed somewhere
Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Fords r us

you could always do both lol, im going to get a rough country lift one day, whenever i get stationed somewhere
I'm starting to think that doing both might be the smart way to go - get the suspension lift to handle the weight of the new tires/wheels, then a body lift or level kit to provide a little extra room.

i will be adding a bumper replacement, so thanks for that tip! now i am forewarned!. i already have a set of WAAG side rails, but i haven't installed them yet. now, i think i should hold off until i'm done with the lift so i can see how to mod the brackets to make them fit right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: body lift vs suspension lift?