Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Blowing fog light fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Blowing fog light fuse

I wired up two round led's to my factory fog lamp wires, that worked fine no problem.. I proceeded to wire in the LED bar and then I blew a fuse. I know the issue and the issue is that the fuse is trying to draw too much current in turn blowing the fuse. My question is, how can I avoid wiring the light bar to an aftermarket relay/switch? Do I have to get bigger wire that ties into that fuse? A bigger ground? Or just replace the fuse with a high amperage? Or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

I don't want to have a bunch of aftermarket switches inside, and want it to look as factory as possible from the inside. Two switches inside will be enough once I get my train horns.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Replace fuse. You can run LEDs on stock fog light fuse.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Replace fuse. You can run LEDs on stock fog light fuse.
Well at first, that's what I thought, but then after looking, my light bars claims to draw 20.6 amps at 12v, put that on top of the factory fog lights, and the round LED lights, and I'm probably well over 25. I guess I can try to replace it and see what happens but I don't think it will be a positive outcome.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

Do it right and use a relay. Now you can use the fog light wire to trigger the relay.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Don't upgrade the fuse. THe wiring is only set to handle so much voltage. Just wire a simple inline fuse and go to the battery with a single switch. Personally I'd use a relay system, but the fuse will work for all intents and purposes.

By uping the use amperage, you put a lot more resistance into the wiring, causing melting wires and such. Ford at least uses decent wiring. You still don't want to up the amperage, just to save a few minutes of extra wiring and a couple dollars for relay and wire plug.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:52 AM
4.6, The True Triton

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Don't upgrade the fuse. THe wiring is only set to handle so much voltage. Just wire a simple inline fuse and go to the battery with a single switch. Personally I'd use a relay system, but the fuse will work for all intents and purposes.

By uping the use amperage, you put a lot more resistance into the wiring, causing melting wires and such. Ford at least uses decent wiring. You still don't want to up the amperage, just to save a few minutes of extra wiring and a couple dollars for relay and wire plug.
Big + 1 here. That's a huge jump in fuse amperage. If you were going up from a 15 to a 20 maybe. Not worth the fire risk over a relay or two.

Quick Reply: Blowing fog light fuse