Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Blower runs after keys out... can't find relay...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blower runs after keys out... can't find relay...

I've got a 2001 F150 supercrew with the 5.4. Recently the front blower keeps running for the heat/ac after the engine is shutoff and the key's removed. This after I just replaced the battery and the idler pulley because it was whining/squealing.

I'm guessing it's a bad blower relay, but I can't find it. No clear mention of which relay it is in the manual. Shuts off fine when I pull the 40A fuse. Otherwise, if the blower is running when I kill the engine, it'll keep running until I shut the heat off.

Need help.....
Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

According to my 02 diagram, your problem is not in the relay. If the blower can be turned off with the switch then the relay is working. The problem is the relay is being fed power when the ign is off. Instead of hot in run position. Go to this site for your diagram and then get back to us.

Go to: search.ebscohost.com
USER: greatfalls
PASS: publiclibrary

Select auto repair, year, make, ect..

Make a copy of every system that your truck has, for future reference.

One last thought, what extra do it yourself wiring has been done?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Look under the dash on the driver side and check for signs that the windshield has leaked onto the box behind the fuse block. If so, the GEM has gotten wet and will need to be replaced along with the windshield being fixed. This is kinda a common problem with our trucks.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by torkum
Look under the dash on the driver side and check for signs that the windshield has leaked onto the box behind the fuse block. If so, the GEM has gotten wet and will need to be replaced along with the windshield being fixed. This is kinda a common problem with our trucks.

I appreciate the help, Torkum, a short while before you responded, I had psoted this on the general board, which seems to confirm what you're stating:

Been googling for a few hours now, and have read of numerous people having issues with the GEM on these trucks. Sounds like a leaky windshield on the driver's side causes water to drip to the back of the fuse box where the GEM is located. I have seen a similar leak, but haven't had any problems. I'll go see if I can get to the GEM and check for corrosion. Anyone know if it's easy to get out?

EDIT: It's a PITA to get out... but yes, mine is wet. I'm going to try and live through the current snow to see if when things dry out she comes back to proper form.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Blower Running

I had the same problem with my 97 F150 4.6 when I disconnected the battery to charge the alternator. I left it disconnected for 24hrs while getting the new part. The same issue happened when I hooked everything back up. After putting up with that problem for several days I said what the heck and disconnected the battery and let it set for a minute and reconnected the battery and the problem was gone. My buzzer would also sound when I opened the driver even without the key in the ignition. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caswensk
I appreciate the help, Torkum, a short while before you responded, I had psoted this on the general board, which seems to confirm what you're stating:

Been googling for a few hours now, and have read of numerous people having issues with the GEM on these trucks. Sounds like a leaky windshield on the driver's side causes water to drip to the back of the fuse box where the GEM is located. I have seen a similar leak, but haven't had any problems. I'll go see if I can get to the GEM and check for corrosion. Anyone know if it's easy to get out?

EDIT: It's a PITA to get out... but yes, mine is wet. I'm going to try and live through the current snow to see if when things dry out she comes back to proper form.
Being that you have a 01 you will have to go to the dealer to have it programmed.
Sorry I didn't catch your post in the General Section but I don't hang out there much.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM

The window is fixed and things are dried out... there was a good 6-8" long section of the seal where the seal had failed and the flange had rusted
pretty good when the window was pulled. And best yet, the problem is gone.

Here's to hoping the corrosion on the GEM was to a minimum and that if things stay dry that the evil blower god won't rear his ugly head again.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
Blondie70 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 f150 wiring diagram

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
According to my 02 diagram, your problem is not in the relay. If the blower can be turned off with the switch then the relay is working. The problem is the relay is being fed power when the ign is off. Instead of hot in run position. Go to this site for your diagram and then get back to us.

Go to: search.ebscohost.com
USER: greatfalls
PASS: publiclibrary

Select auto repair, year, make, ect..

Make a copy of every system that your truck has, for future reference.

One last thought, what extra do it yourself wiring has been done?
hi do you have a current login for this site so i could get copys of the different systems? Trying to trake down what is keeping dash powered when key is off. Thanks
Old 01-11-2024, 10:38 AM

Received 432 Likes on 374 Posts

What all is still being powered?

From personal experience, I know a GEM that’s been leaked on (fix your leaky windshield) will still power the overhead console and HVAC. Don’t remember if the gauges still worked.
The following users liked this post:
white89gt (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 03:41 PM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

An abundance of things can be affected by a wet GEM. Power windows, horn, starter motor, 4WD, dash lights....

My Expedition would get stuck cranking while the horn was honking. It wouldn't start, just crank.

Quick Reply: Blower runs after keys out... can't find relay...