Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Blower fan motor drains battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower fan motor drains battery

I've looked at the posts regarding the blower motor resistor and did not see any having the same syptoms as me so I thought I better post new. I have a 1997 f-150 with a 4.6L. Went out the other morning and the battery was completely dead. I put on my battery charger and charged it up. When I got in the cab I could hear the blower fan running! No key in the ignition or anything! I turned the climate control to OFF and waited to see if the battery would hold. It did not, so I pulled the I/O Blower fuse under the hood. This has kept the battery from going dead. Everything works fine if I put the fuse back in. Could this be an issue with the blower motor resistor or something else?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is Roondog just following up on this issue in order to help others! This issue went away as soon as the weather dried up a little bit and then got much worse once we had more rain (4 wheel drive would not engage, turning signals/ flashers didn't work,etc). I took it to a good Ford mechanic and he determined that the GEM was the issue. It was rusted and the only way that could have happened was if the windshield was leaking. I guess this is a common issue with '97s. He replaced the GEM with one from a junk yard and everything worked fine. I have since traded off the truck.

Quick Reply: Blower fan motor drains battery